Friday, 28 August 2015

Mini Review: When the Stars Align by Jeanette Grey


Title: When the Stars Align
Author: Jeanette Grey
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Forever Yours
Publication Date: 1st September 2015
Rating: 1 star

Tell Me About It
Their passion burned hotter than the stars . . .

For Josephine "Jo" Kramer, nothing has ever been easy. When she earns a summer internship in Puerto Rico, working at one of the world's preeminent scientific facilities, she'll let nothing distract her. Not her own insecurities, not the arrogant scientists, and definitely not her tall, chiseled research partner, Adam.

For Adam McCay, physics is simple-it's women who are complicated. Especially brilliant, beautiful ones like Jo. From the moment they meet, he can feel the heat smoldering deep beneath her icy exterior. And Adam knows just what it will take to make Jo melt . . .

Under the endless stars of a tropical sky, Jo and Adam indulge their every desire. But as their internship comes to an end, their perfect island paradise is threatened. Was their time together a summer fling? Or is their passion hot enough to last the long winter nights?
My Thoughts
When I first read the synopsis for When the Stars Align, I knew it was something I wanted to read, and could not wait to crack this book open

When I began reading I did initially like the protagonist, Jo. She was strong and determined, and would not let anyone tell her what she could and couldn't do. This determination and perseverance landed her a coveted spot in a summer internship at Arecibo, Puerto Rico, doing research at the biggest radio telescope in the world. But after the brief introduction my opinion of Jo quickly changed.When Adam makes an appearance, I thought he would be someone who I would like, that he would be the good for Jo's bad. But as we get to know him I felt like he was just as bad as Jo.

For me Adam and Jo held no appeal for me, they came across as arrogant and wanting the focus on themselves. To make it harder for me to read, it took over half the book for anything really interesting to happen, which for me took far too long. I also expected a lot more astronomy stuff in this. If you are writing a book with the setting being the worlds biggest satellite dish, at least have some focus on this, rather than the scenic view and brief moments of them calculating things.

I really struggled to read this book, and I only kept reading expecting something good to happen, and for me the only part I liked the best was the final chapters. I finished this book feeling disappointed about the lack of astronomy, and the amount of time it takes to get anywhere.

Final Verdict
When the Stars Align lacked a lot of things for me. I felt no appeal towards the protagonist, and it took far too long for anything interesting to happen. I feel like my time could have been better spent on anther book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...