Wednesday, 12 August 2015

Review: Night Owls by Jenn Bennett


Title: Night Owls
Author: Jenn Bennett
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Bungle @ Midnight Reads
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Publication Date: 13th August 2015
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
Feeling alive is always worth the risk.

Meeting Jack on the Owl—San Francisco's night bus—turns Beatrix's world upside down. Jack is charming, wildly attractive...and possibly one of San Francisco's most notorious graffiti artists.

But Jack is hiding a piece of himself. On midnight rides and city rooftops, Beatrix begins to see who this enigmatic boy really is.
My Thoughts
I had not really heard much about Night Owls until I received a copy from Bungle with a few other books. I was drawn to it immediately due to the cover being simple, yet bold and dramatic. My copy was a proof copy, and for promotion the publisher had single words put onto the covers, my word was Love, you can see the cover here.

I went into reading Night Owls with no idea what to expect, not only was this a new book for me, but also a new author. Once I began reading it was quite clear that I would love this book. Night Owls is a book that you can read without worrying over missing out on some bit of important information, without keeping an eye open for hidden agendas or plots. It's doesn't make you think or try to hard to concentrate, its just basic, and I know that sounds like its coming across as a 'boring book', trust me it's not. Reading Night Owls was a breath of fresh air, it was relaxing and stress free, the perfect book to read to get out of reading slumps, or for a quick, uncomplicated read.

Night Owls follows Beatrix, as she attempts to get into a medical examination part of the university, to draw cadavers, and enter them into a competition. After a disastrous first meeting, Beatrix makes her way home and bumps into Jack, another person on the night owl bus. After a while this couple strike up an easy friendship, learning about each others secrets and reasons for being on the night bus.
As thier friendship develops into something more, Beatrix learns more about Jack than most people know, and he slowly lets her in, showing her his family secret.

Night Owls was a quick read for me, and I could not read the pages fast enough. Beatrix was an interesting character for me, she is strong and determined to do these drawings, even though it physically makes her sick when it's over. Yet she also has a very caring side, this is only seen more when she meets Jack's relative, which is connected to a big family secret. Rather than it putting her off Jack, Beatrix embraces it with open arms, and when it all falls around her Beatrix uses this to help her for her competition.
Jack was someone who I thought was nothing but trouble, but the more we get to know him the more we see why he goes around spraying graffiti at night. This graffiti is also linked to the covers, and I think it was a fantastic idea from the publisher to market the book this way, even down to the different designs.

Final Verdict
Night Owls is the perfect uncomplicated read, but one that also makes you feel things and become emotionally invested in the characters.

1 comment:

  1. Check! This is added to my 'to read' list on Goodreads. Thanks for sharing this. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...