Thursday, 10 September 2015

Review: Counting Stars by Keris Stainton


Title: Counting Stars
Author: Keris Stainton
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Publication Date: 3rd September 2015
Rating: 2 stars

Tell Me About It
A new life in a new city - what could possibly go wrong . . . ?

When eighteen-year-old Anna leaves school and moves to Liverpool, she feels like her life is finally beginning. She's landed her dream job at a theatre, and she's moving into an exciting (if not slightly run-down) flat on a buzzing street lined with shops, bars, and buskers. Best of all, her new flatmates are kind, welcoming and a lot of fun - what more could she ask for?

But although her new life is fun, it's also a little overwhelming. Anna's job quickly falls through, and then she realises that although her new friends are great, they're also a little mixed-up... and it's not long before Anna starts using her blog to talk about her experiences, from the hilarious to the ridiculous to the little-bit-scary. But when Anna spills a bigger secret than she can handle, suddenly the consequences are all too real. She'll have to prove she has the mettle to make it in the big city, or risk losing everything she thinks she wants.
My Thoughts
I really don't know where to start with this review. I picked up Counting Stars as I had heard some good things about it, and it's also set in my city.  It's the first book I have read by the author, Keris Stainton, so I had no idea what to expect.

After finishing Counting Stars I am still torn about my review. I did enjoy reading it, and learning a lot about the different places in Liverpool I have not visited, although I do only go there for book shopping. But as a story it didn't really do anything for me.

I initially found it hard to relate to the characters, with so many perspectives to keep track of it took me a while to pin down the name with the character, the job, the personality. Once I had it all organised in my head I did find it a bit easier to keep them separate, but it still didn't help in my enjoyment of the book. I liked the characters and thier personalities. I thought it was amazing how quickly they welcomed Anna into their small group and found the aftermath of a drinking session hilarious. However I think a few things that Anna did for her vlog could have been handled differently. She should never have broken thier trust and thier confidence to the whole world

I expected a big adventure for Anna, moving to a new place, a job, and new friends, which I thought was extremely brave of her, but it didn't really become an adventure, and it sort of felt normal, everyday life (excluding Molly's antics) and it held no interest to me. I continued to read, waiting for something spectacular to happen and I just didn't get it.

Final Verdict
Although I wouldn't really say I was blown away with Counting Stars, I did like the writing and the idea behind it. So this gets a mixed review and rating from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...