Thursday, 29 October 2015

Review: Horrorgami: 20 Gruesome Scenes to Cut and Fold by Marc Hagan-Guirey


Title: Paper Dandy's Horrorgami: 20 Gruesome Scenes to Cut and Fold
Author: Marc Hagan-Guirey
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Horror, Crafts, Non-Fiction
Source: Midas PR
Publisher: Laurence King Publishing
Publication Date: 1st September 2015
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
Paper Dandy's Horrorgami features 20 kirigami (cut-and-fold) designs based around haunted houses and scenes from horror films by the creator of the successful Horrorgami blog and exhibition. Each project features step-by-step instructions and a template that you remove from the book. You then follow the lines on the template, cutting and folding to make your own kirigami model. All you need is a scalpel, a cutting mat and a ruler. Clear cutting tips help you with the tricky stages and give you an order in which to complete your work, while photos of the finished model show you the final design. Suitable for folding experts and beginners alike, Paper Dandy's Horrorgami makes the perfect Halloween activity.
My Thoughts
Kirigami: is a variation of origami that includes cutting of the paper, rather than solely folding the paper as is the case with origami.

Marc Hagan-Guirey, known for some amazing kirigami works of art, both for commission and for exhibition, has a book that is set to chill everyone to the bone. Horrorgami: 20 Gruesome Scenes to Cut and Fold gives you a chance to cut out your own gruesome scenes from several horror movie inspired sets, from The Thing Under the Stairs to The Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow. Each scene has step by step instructions on how to create your own Horrorgami masterpiece, with levels going from beginner to advanced.

Before you get to the scenes, there is information on what the terminology means, and what items you need to use for this book....this is the point where my items differ from the list.

  • What You Need
  • Bone folder
  • Scalpel & blades
  • Metal Ruler
  • Paper
  • Self healing cutting mat
  • Skewers or toothpicks
  • What I Used
  • Scissors
  • Argos catalogue
  • Plastic ruler
  • Stanley knife









As we can see, there is a very big difference in the lists above. I'm really not an arty person, so I used the tools I had available at the time to make the first cut out. I initially did not use the stanley knife, I'm prone to accidents and din't fancy slicing my fingers. However the scissors just didn't work at all, so I had to use the dreaded stanley knife. Thankfully for me it wasn't sharp, however this affected the overall appearance of the finish cut out. It ripped some of the delicate parts, or just made the cuts themselves look tatty.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Horrorgami: 20 Gruesome Scenes to Cut and Fold is a great book to get you started on kirigami. Like I've stated above, each cut out has a clear level needed for it, starting at beginner and working its way to advanced. I had a lot of fun with the first cut out, The Thing Under the Stairs, and although it didn't work out how I wanted it to, I will definitely be getting the right supplies to continue with this book.

Not only do I have the rest of Horrorgami: 20 Gruesome Scenes to Cut and Fold to complete, but I also have a book to giveaway to you. I received two copies of the book by accident, and I was given permission to giveaway my second copy. To be in with a chance of winning this book just fill in the rafflecopter form below. This is a UK only giveaway as I will be sending the book off myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...