Friday, 9 October 2015

Review: When I Was Me by Hilary Freeman


Title: When I Was Me
Author: Hilary Freeman
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Thriller, Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Publication Date: 3rd September 2015
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
One girl, two lives. Which is real?

When Ella wakes up one Monday morning, she discovers that she is not herself and that her life is not her own. She looks different, her friends are no longer her friends and her existence has been erased from the internet. Even worse, years of her history appear to have been rewritten overnight. And yet, nobody else thinks that anything weird has happened.

A tense and dark psychological thriller full of unexpected twists and turns about the random events and decisions that make us who we are. If you can't trust your own memories, then who can you trust?
My Thoughts
Either I have lot my memory.
Or I have lost my mind.
And if I'm not me, fully me, then who am I?
When I first heard about When I Was Me I knew it was something I wanted to read. Not only does it sound mysterious and intriguing, but I also love the cover image and how it portrays both versions of Ella. Going into When I Was Me I didn't really have any idea of what to expect, or how to even begin to understand how everything about Ella's life was so different, from her hair, her family, her friends, every single aspect is not how she remembers.

I did initially struggle reading When I Was Me, I felt more lost and confused than anything else, but as the book is told in first person narrative it gives us the chance to experience it the way Ella does, feeling lost and confused just like she is, so in a strange sort of way it does fit with the story. As When I Was Me progresses we learn more about this Ella, and the Ella that has been left behind, and slowly but surely the pieces are finally put together.

When I Was Me was an interesting read, and it left me wanting to know what was going on and what would happen to Ella. I liked the development of the story, and how it progressed in a natural way and didn't really feel hurried along. However, Ella was someone who took me a while to relate to. We don't really get to know this new Ella too much, it's more on how different she is to the other Ella, so I did occasionally find it hard to feel sorry for her. I think still being aware of the fact that she is different and that something is wrong, it kind of gave her a slight attitude towards people and things that were different.

When I Was Me is a unique book, one of the very few that I have read that deals with this plot. I loved how all the pieces we put together and explained clearly and concisely, for both the reader and for Ella. The ending(s) were not something I expected, but I do like how all angles were covered. When I Was Me is the first book I have read by the author, and I am definitely interested in reading some of her other books.

Final Verdict
When I Was Me is a book about choices, about what ifs, and so much more which I wont reveal to you. It's about how one choice made now could affect your future, or how by choosing another option could lead you somewhere else. When I Was Me was an intriguing book that really made you think.

1 comment:

  1. This one is new to me. I like the blurb and from your review, I'm curious about the story. Good review. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...