Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Audiobook Review: The Flux ['Mancer #2] by Ferrett Steinmetz


Title: The Flux
Author: Ferrett Steinmetz
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Narrator: Peter Brooke
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: 'Mancer #2
Source: Midas PR
Publisher: Audible Studios
Running Time: 13 hrs and 12 mins
Publication Date: 6th October 2015
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
Love something enough, and your obsession will punch holes through the laws of physics. That devotion creates unique magics: videogamemancers. Origamimancers. Culinomancers.

But when ‘mancers battle, cities tremble…

ALIYAH TSABO-DAWSON: The world’s most dangerous eight-year-old girl. Burned by a terrorist’s magic, gifted strange powers beyond measure. She’s furious that she has to hide her abilities from her friends, her teachers, even her mother – and her temper tantrums can kill.

PAUL TSABO: Bureaucromancer. Magical drug-dealer. Desperate father. He’s gone toe-to-toe with the government’s conscription squads of brain-burned Unimancers, and he’ll lie to anyone to keep Aliyah out of their hands – whether Aliyah likes it or not.

THE KING OF NEW YORK: The mysterious power player hell-bent on capturing the two of them. A man packing a private army of illegal ‘mancers.

Paul’s family is the key to keep the King’s crumbling empire afloat. But offering them paradise is the catalyst that inflames Aliyah’s deadly rebellious streak…
My Thoughts
The only time I had heard about The Flux, was on another blog discussing the covers of several releases. When I was contacted about reviewing an audiobook I read the synopsis that was provided and quickly replied with a yes. After a few technical glitches I was able to get the credit to download this from audible. It was that moment that I realised that The Flux was the second book in a series, one where I had not read or listened to the first one.

When I began listening to The Flux I was hooked, I love this world that Ferrett Steinmetz has created. I love the different 'mancy, how something you are skilled at can be used as a form of 'mancy, enabling you to do a lot of things that are physically impossible, like turning dressing yourself in you favourite game outfit to fight in a battle, using Pokeballs to capture people.

The Flux has some amazing action sequences, with lots of brutal fight scenes and it does not hold out on the gore factor either, but I loved it. The attention to detail was truly outstanding, and it really made things come to life even more. I love the cover of this audiobook, and after getting to know the characters I like seeing who it portrays. The characters themselves have a way of standing out and making sure they are memorable. I love the interaction between the primary characters and how they work so well together. The 'mancy itself sounds amazing, but also scary. Wanting something so much that your 'mancy can make it happen, but one shift in that feeling of need can backlash, and can have dire effects, from turning a minor crash into a fatal one, from a safe place becoming unsafe fast, and from life to death.

The plot behind the book was fantastic, and while it initially started out easy to follow, as it progressed I did feel like I was missing important events that occurred in the previous book. The author has done a good job to fill in most of the blanks and explain things, but to me because I knew I had missed out I couldn't help but see the glaring gaps, this did affect me somewhat in my enjoyment,but it just makes me more determined to pick up the previous book so I can enjoy this book again as a whole series so far.

Narration
The narrator, Peter Brooke, has done a great job of telling this story. He made it easy to distinguish which character was who with slight differentiation in his voice. He helped the story draw you in even more than you already had been, and want to keep listening.

Final Verdict
The Flux was an amazing audiobook, and I have no problem with listening to this all over again once I pick up the previous book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...