Sunday, 15 November 2015

Honourable Mentions (10)

Honourable Mentions is a way for me to share books that I did not finish, but still give them a chance to get some recognition on my blog. The following books have a lot of reasons for me not finishing the book, either I could not get into the story, or I didn't like the characters, or even something as simple as I wasn't feeling the book at that moment in time.

Need by Joelle Charbonneau
I really could not get into this one at all. There were far too many points of view, and I couldn't find anything redeemable about the characters at all to make me want to keep reading. The idea behind the story felt somewhat predictable, you have a 'need', you have to carry out a task to get what you need. After so many requests and tasks to complete it got all mixed up and I lost track of who wanted what, and what they had to do to get it.

For the Record by Charlotte Huang
Could not get into this at all. I also felt like I had missed the beginning part with the talent show, only to find it mentioned later on in the chapter, it felt like this part of the story was told backwards.. I also could not find anything I liked about the characters at all.

Wicked Embers by Keri Arthur
I loved the previous book in this series and I could not wait to jump back into this world. But for me Wicked Embers just wasn't what I expected.
There was far too much information to process within the first few chapters, I made it to about 100 pages in and I felt like there hadn't been much progress with the story itself, only more names to remember. For people going into this after reading the first book, there was also a lot of repetitive information that just didn't need to be there.

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff 
I liked the idea of this book, and I liked the characters, but the way it was written just didn't work for me. The secret chats, diary entries, case observations etc, it just didn't work for me, and I know I am one of the very few to think this.
[Blogger Review: Sarah @ Feeling Fictional]

A Mad Zombie Party by Gena Showalter
I LOVE this series so much, and getting a copy of this one form NetGalley made my day. I knew going in to this that we wouldn't have Ally and Cole as the narrators and I was fully prepared for this, but I just didn't like Frosty and Milla as narrators. I disliked they way they acted, the way they spoke, it just didn't work for me.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realise that Ally & Cole weren't the narrators for A Mad Zombie Party. I've always liked Frosty but I can't even remember who Milla is so that's going to do very weird.

    It's a shame Illuminae didn't work for you - I absolutely loved it! - but I can understand why it won't work for everyone. The formatting was very strange & took some getting used to but I liked how unique it was.

    I hope your next batch of reads is more successful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, Milla is the one that sold them out to the bad guys, I think she was part of the other team of slayers.

      Delete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...