Saturday, 7 November 2015

Recent Reads (04)


Recent Reads is a way for me to round up books that I have read recently that are either too small to really give a detailed review of them, or are books read for fun with no review notes taken.


Title: Something Beautiful
Author: Jamie McGuire
Source: Purchased by myself
Publication Date: 18th August 2015
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
America Mason, a sassy undergrad at Eastern State University, is in love with a Maddox--Shepley Maddox. Unlike his cousins, Shepley is more lover than fighter, but a road trip to her parents' home in Wichita, Kansas could mean the next step, or the end of everything.
My Thoughts
I love the world that this series is set in, and when I found out about Something Beautiful I could not wait to dive back in again. Getting to read Shepley and America's side of the story was something new, but something also exciting.
Something Beautiful follows this duo over several years. We get to see thier introduction and thier first date, the rushed wedding of Abby and Travis and seeing the other side of that phone call, right up to where Walking Disaster left us.

Something Beautiful was a quick read, that answers a lot of questions, but also has you on the edge of your seat after a traumatic experience. I thoroughly enjoyed Something Beautiful, anyone who has read Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster needs to read this.

Photobucket


Title: Fury's Kiss
Author: Karen Chance
Source: Purchased by myself
Publication Date: 2nd October 2012
Rating: 2 stars

Tell Me About It
Dory is used to fighting hard and nasty. So when she wakes up in a strange scientific lab with a strange man standing over her, her first instinct is to take his head off. Luckily, the man is actually the master vampire Louis-Cesare, so he’s not an easy kill.

It turns out that Dory had been working with a Vampire Senate task force on the smuggling of magical items and weaponry out of Faerie when she was captured and brought to the lab. But when Louis-Cesare rescues her, she has no memory of what happened to her.

To find out what was done to her—and who is behind it—Dory will have to face off with fallen angels, the maddest of mad scientists, and a new breed of vampires that are far worse than undead…
My Thoughts
I picked up Fury's Kiss on publication date, and it just sat on my shelf waiting to be read. When I finally picked this one up I did find it hard to get back into this world again. It took a while for me to remember who the secondary characters were and how they fit into the story, and once it was all fixed in my mind I did find it easier to read.

I liked the idea behind the story, but it just didn't work for me. The many trips back into Dory's memory bored me, and after the first few I did find myself skipping these parts. I did like how we got to witness some of her past through her eyes, but there just wasn't enough of that to keep me happy.

The ending of Fury's Kiss was not something I expected, but I did like this little twist. Overall Fury's Kiss was an OK read for me, it just didn't meet my expectations.


Photobucket


Title: Blindsided
Author: Patricia Cummings
Source: Book Swap
Publication Date: 7th July 2011
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Fourteen-year-old Natalie O'Reilly's world is turned upside down with the news that she will soon go blind. As if this weren't shocking enough, she is forced to face the fact that she must now attend a school for the blind to learn Braille and how to use a cane. As Natalie tackles the skills that will help her to survive in a sighted world, she inwardly hopes for a miracle that will save her sight. But will that miracle come, or will she need to learn to embrace her new life?
My Thoughts
I picked this book up in 2012, I think it was a book swap. This was another one that got put onto my shelf and left. I piked it up several times to read and would put it back down again. I finally managed to tackle some of my TBR shelf, and Blindsided finally made it into my hands.

I didn't really know what to expect from Blindsided, this being my first book by the author, Patricia Cummings, but I found myself really getting stuck into this book. The idea behind the story is sad, and seeing the struggle that Natalie has to go through was heartbreaking, each new hurdle for her is a giant leap of faith and trust, trust that what she is being told is correct, having the faith and belief in others that they wont let her fall.

Blindsided was an somewhat emotional read, and I liked the little touches of having braille in the chapter headings, and an example of some letters at the end of the book. Blindsided really made me think of how much I take for granted, even my own bad eyesight, and I could not imagine the struggle that others go though when they have to experience this for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...