Wednesday, 30 December 2015

Audiobook Review: Northern Lights [His Dark Materials #1] by Philip Pullman


Title: Northern Lights
Author: Philip Pullman
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter
Narrator: Philip Pullman & cast
Series: His Dark Materials #1
Source: Midas PR
Running Time: 10 hours and 48 minutes
Publisher: Audible Studios
Publication Date: 25th September 2007
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
What Lyra likes best is “clambering over the College roofs with Roger the kitchen boy who was her particular friend, to spit plum stones on the heads of passing Scholars or to hoot like owls outside a window where a tutorial was going on, or racing through the narrow streets, or stealing apples from the market, or waging war.”

But Lyra’s carefree existence changes forever when she and her daemon, Pantalaimon, first prevent an assassination attempt against her uncle, the powerful Lord Asriel, and then overhear a secret discussion about a mysterious entity known as Dust.

Soon she and Pan are swept up in a dangerous game involving disappearing children, a beautiful woman with a golden monkey daemon, a trip to the far north, and a set of allies ranging from “gyptians“ to witches to an armor-clad polar bear.
My Thoughts
It's been quite a few years since I last visited Lyra's world. I really enjoyed reading these as books, so when I got the chance to review them in audio to celebrate His Dark Materials being commissioned for TV I said yes. It took a while for me to actually get to listening to Northern Lights due to some misunderstanding over my account email, but as soon as I realised the mistake I quickly downloaded this series onto my iPod (which lives to fight another day) and began.

Starting Northern Lights, I realised ho much I had forgotten about the story itself, so listening to this was like starting a new book, one I had never read, which really helped with my enjoyment of this book. Listening to audiobooks is hard for me to take notes, especially as I listen as I travel or go to sleep so my review probably wont be the most detailed on around the blogosphere.

Lyra is an orphan, both of her parents are dead, her only family member remaining is her Uncle Asriel, who places her in the care of the scholars at Jordan college. However, her life here is quickly cut short when she is taken my Mrs Coulter to London, where Lyra finds out the truth about Dust, Oblation Board, and what is really happening to the children taken by the Gobblers. Lyra plans her escape and soon finds herself on an adventure she never believed she would take. Can Lyra save the children and her friends with the help of the witches and Iorek Byrnison.

Northern Lights takes you on an adventure of a lifetime, and the adventure has only just begun. I enjoyed travelling with Lyra and meeting new faces and people, seeing how they life their lives. I loved how the gyptians we so welcoming towards Lyra and how they aided her. Lyra's journey isn't easy, and she is not only out of her comfort zone, but also faces a lot of harsh truths and realities. I cant wait to pick up the next book and join her again.

The Narration
Philip Pullman is the narrator of this audiobook, but he also has an amazing array of cast to help give thier voices to all the different characters, from Lyra and Pan, to Iorek and Roger.

Final Verdict
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Northern Lights and I cant wait to make a start on the next book in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...