Thursday, 17 December 2015

Recent Reads (4)


Recent Reads is a way for me to round up books that I have read recently that are either too small to really give a detailed review of them, or are books read for fun with no review notes taken.


Title: Glitches
Author: Marissa Meyer
Source: Free on wattpad
Publication Date: 5th December 2011
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. In Glitches, a short prequel story to Cinder, we see the results of that illness play out, and the emotional toll that takes on Cinder. Something that may, or may not, be a glitch…

My Thoughts
This was a quick read that's free on wattpad. I really liked getting to see where Cinder came from and her initial meeting with her new family. Although I knew what was coming it was still sad to see what happened to her family and how she ended up with the family she 'lives' with.
This isn't an essential read for the series, but one that really can't be missed.

Photobucket



Title: Fearless
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Source: Free on amazon
Publication Date: 17th July 2014
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Hunter Garrity is used to watching his back. The kids at school sense something different about him. And they’re right.
Hunter has powers that have nothing to do with how hard he can throw a punch.
Maybe that’s what Clare Kasten is picking up. She’s shy, quiet, and intense, but she’s sought him out. There’s no telling what she wants from him.
But Hunter knows enough to sense a secret when it’s close. And getting close to Clare is a danger he’s ready to face…
My Thoughts
It's been a while since I last visited this world, only really having read the first novella and story. I wanted to pick this up to job my memory in the hopes I get to the next book soon.
Fearless was a quick read but I did like getting a glimpse into Hunter's life before we see him in Storm. Seeing how his home life is was not something I expected, and part of me did feel sorry for what he Dad was telling him. I liked seeing the relationship develop between him and Clare, and I would like to see if anything else becomes of it as the series continues.

Photobucket




Title: Isolation
Author: Dan Wells
Source: Purchased
Publication Date: 28th August 2012
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Two decades before the events of Partials, the world was locked in a different battle for survival: a global war for the last remaining oil reserves on the planet. It was for the Isolation War that the American government contracted the ParaGen Corporation to manufacture the Partials—our last hope in reclaiming energy independence from China. And it was on these fields of battle that the seeds of humanity's eventual destruction were sown.

Isolation takes us back to the front lines of this war, a time when mankind's ambition far outstripped its foresight. Heron, a newly trained Partial soldier who specializes in infiltration, is sent on a mission deep behind enemy lines. What she discovers there has far-reaching implications—not only for the Isolation War, but for Partials and humans alike long after this war is over.

A powerful take of our world on the brink, Isolation gives readers a glimpse into the history from which Partials was born—as well as clues to where the Partials Sequence is heading next.
My Thoughts
Isolation wasn't what I expected, I went into this expecting a different war, but I did enjoy getting to see Heron in another role, both as an undercover agent, but also her 'birth' and learning journey.

Isolation lets us she another side to her, and gives some background information into why Heron acts like she does, being more human than other partials. I think if I had read this before I started this series, I may have liked Heron more than I did. This isn't really an essential read for the series, but it is very worth while.

Photobucket



Title: My Soul to Lose
Author: Rachel Vincent
Source: Purchased
Publication Date: 1st April 2012
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life. Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit. She tries to convince everyone she's fine - despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities...
My Thoughts
My Soul to Lose is the first novella in the Soul Screamers series, and it gives us a bit of background information on Kaylee, and what we can expect from her. Reading My Soul to Lose I did feel sorry for Kaylee and what she goes through, but I also think it was essential for her guardians to see the effects of what can happen by leaving Kaylee where she was.

My Soul to Lose also introduces us to a face we see later on in the series, who plays a very important role in the series itself.

Photobucket



Title: Last Request
Author: Rachel Vincent
Source: Purchased
Publication Date: 25th March 2014
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Last Request is a brand-new story set between the second to last and last chapters of With All My Soul. Told between Tod and Nash's point of view, as they try to grant the last request Kaylee never had a chance to ask for.
Last Request is a novella from Soul Screamers Vol. 4. The final collection of New York Times best-selling author Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series is packed with emotion, with intrigue, with secrets, with family and above all, with love.
My Thoughts
Last Request is set between the second to last and last chapters of With All My Soul. We get to see Tod and Nash's point of view, how they are moving on with thier lives and what has changed since the incident. I really enjoyed the shop part of Last Request and the consequences of it..I may have literally laughed out loud at one point or another.

Photobucket



Title: Fearless
Author: Rachel Vincent
Source: Purchased
Publication Date: 25th March 2014
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Fearless is Sabine's first appearance in the Soul Screamers world. This story takes place almost a year before MY SOUL TO LOSE, two full years before Kaylee and Sabine will meet....”

Fearless is a novella from Soul Screamers Vol. 4. The final collection of New York Times best-selling author Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series is packed with emotion, with intrigue, with secrets, with family and above all, with love.

My Thoughts
Going into Fearless I know what happens, having finished this series several years ago. But a recent reshuffle of my bookshelves found me picking up volume four in the Souls Screamers collection, and realising that although I thought I had finished this series, I still had a few novellas to read.

Sabine was someone who I hated with a passion, I disliked her attitude and the way she had to interfere with things between Nash and Kaylee. But I think by the time I ended this series my opinions had changed about her. Reading Fearless gives me the chance to see where all that anger and hatred came from, and why she made it so hard for me to like her.

For those who have yet to venture into this world (I ask what are you waiting for) Sabine is a Mara, capable of reading people's fears, and feeding off them as they dream. The beginning of Fearless sees Sabine being placed in yet another home, with the warning that this is her final chance, mess up again and end up in the juvenile correctional complex, which is basically the same as hell. Holser House, a place for troubled teens is sure to be a feast for a Mara, but a few days into her stay Sabine finds out its not as much as a feast, it's more of a famine. Something is wrong with the girls and she is determined to find out what it is.

Fearless was just as good as I remember this series to be. I really liked seeing Sabine away from Nash, Tod, and Kaylee and how she is just as feisty as ever. I liked the progression of this story and the ending of this explains some history from the Soul Screamers series. I will admit, that after reading Fearless and seeing what Sabine goes through towards the end of the book, I can see where her resentment and possessiveness comes from...and it may be partly justified.

Photobucket



Title: Origins: The Fire
Author: Debra Driza
Source: Purchased
Publication Date: 8th January 2013
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Heart-stopping and electric, MILA 2.0: Origins: The Fire contains a short prequel story and an excerpt to MILA 2.0, the first book in a riveting Bourne Identity–style trilogy by Debra Driza.

Mila can't remember anything before the fire that took her father's life. It's normal to have some memory loss after traumatic events, but Mila doesn't remember if she's ever learned to ride a bike, or if she's ever been in love. Nothing.

What she doesn't know is that she isn't supposed to remember—that she was built in a computer science lab and programmed to forget. Because if she remembers, she might discover her true identity.

The question is: If she relived the fire, what would she see?
My Thoughts
Very quick read that explains a lot of thing for the series itself. I liked visiting this world again and really can't wait to pick up the final book in this series next year.
Origins: The Fire is a quick, and dramatic read, but is one that also leaves you wanting to pick up the first book again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...