Tuesday, 29 December 2015

Recent Reads (5)


Recent Reads is a way for me to round up books that I have read recently that are either too small to really give a detailed review of them, or are books read for fun with no review notes taken.


Title: Christmas in the Air
Author: Marie Landry
Source: Free on smashwords
Publication Date: 16th December 2015
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Christmas in the Air is a 6,000-word short story for fans of Something in the Air . Check in with Rose and Declan and see how they're preparing for their first Christmas in London!
My Thoughts
I absolutely loved Something in the Air, so when I saw Marie was writing a short story I knew I had to read it. Christmas in the Air is a very cute read which is based in London, England as we spend time with Rose. She has new friends, a job she loves, and is also with Declan.

While I did like this story, I thought it was too short. I wanted to see a ring, spend more time with Declan, and really celebrate Christmas with this couple. But since this is free I may be being too picky and needy with wanting more from this couple.

Overall a very cute read and I hope at some point in the future we get to visit this couple and thier families again.

Photobucket


Title: Our Frozen Wings
Author: Becky Wicks
Source: Free on amazon
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
A short love story by bestselling author Becky Wicks (Before He Was Famous) "We only see what we want to see, sometimes. Love can blind us."
"It wasn’t like regular butterflies, Ella thought, watching Oscar turn from distant shapes into the boy she loved as he walked towards her in the snow. Regular butterflies were the sign of a sudden realization, a sudden flash in time that marked the start of all your words and emotions and actions being said and done for someone else. With Ella, there had been no such moment.

Ella’s love for Oscar was advanced, she liked to think. It was more like a fleet of caterpillars moving slowly but surely through her world. Each little caterpillar carried on its back a secret, traveling back and forth between her and Oscar; strong, silent and consistent until one day, the caterpillars simply grew wings."

Ella and Oscar grew up together in the wilds of Alaska.
...and their love is a powerful force that renders others not only green-eyed with envy, but invisible. When strange sounds in Ella's house start freaking them out, a visit to a local psychic is set to change their lives forever.
My Thoughts
I first saw Our Frozen Wings when a friend had read it. I decided to check it out and picked up a copy, and left it sitting waiting to be read. When I eventually got around to reading Our Frozen Wings I realised it was going to be a very quick read.
I really like how the story is told, and I did initially think something about what was happening. It wasn't until something was said that I realised what was going on. I thought this was a quick but nice read, but one that also brought tears to my eyes.


Photobucket


Title: Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Author: Jill Wolfson
Source: Purchased by myself
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Dani was born with her heart on the wrong side of her body. In her fifteen years of life, she's had more doctor's appointments, X-rays, and tests, and eaten more green hospital Jell-O than she cares to think about. Fourteen-year-old Amanda is a competitive gymnast, her body a small package of sleek muscles, in perfect health. The two girls don't know each other, don't go to the same school, don't have any friends in common. But their lives are about to collide. Acclaimed author Jill Wolfson tackles this fascinating story with her trademark honesty and wit.
My Thoughts
I've had Cold Hands, Warm Heart sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. I decided to take the plunge and dive in. I really didn't know what to expect from this, just that someone died and donated their heart to someone else. But Cold Hands, Warm Heart was so much more than that. There was a lot of attention to detail, the before, during, and after of people who receive transplants. How it not only affects them, but also their family and friends.
I really enjoyed this book, and while it didn't blow me away it did make me think about a lot of things.

Photobucket



Title: The Dolls: Episode 1-6
Author: Kiki Sullivan
Source: Free on amazon
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Get hooked on The Dolls in the first bitesize episode... Seventeen-year-old Eveny Cheval is plucked from her Brooklyn apartment and driven over a thousand miles south to Carrefour, Louisiana – the town where she was born. But behind the town’s imposing gates, long-buried secrets simmer, leaving Eveny with questions she can’t answer...
My Thoughts
I've had these for a while waiting to be read before publication of the full book. I decided to tackle these and see what I was missing out on.

The Dolls: Episode One
Eveny's life is uprooted over breakfast, when her Aunt Bea decides to move them back to Carrefour. We get a quick introduction to Eveny and her aunt, and we get to briefly see the town as Eveny does

The Dolls: Episode Two
We meets Boniface, caretaker of the house, and he shows Eveny to her newly decorated room. We also get a glimpse into her old life and her love of botany. Towards the end, a mysterious figure is in her garden and Eveny goes to investigate.

The Dolls: Episode Three
Event confronts stranger to discover it's a girl her age, and who also will be going to her school. But this new face becomes wary when she finds out its Eveny's birthday

The Dolls: Episode Four
Event is reintroduced to an old friend from childhood, and makes the rash decision to attend a funeral with him of a pupil from Pointe Laveau Academy. We also get our first introduction to The Dolls

The Dolls: Episode Five
This is told during the funeral and we get descriptions of The Dolls and also find out the name of the pupil who died.

The Dolls: Episode Six
Not much happens in this. We learn about The Dolls and their followers. It's all very mysterious and secretive.

Overall these small stories definitely have me wanting to read the story and find out more about The Dolls, and what is so mysterious about Eveny.

Photobucket



Title: Beautiful Oblivion
Author: Jamie McGuire
Source: Purchased by myself
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
The Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster phenomenon continues in the first heart-pounding new adult romance in The Maddox Brothers series.

Fiercely independent Camille "Cami" Camlin gladly moved on from her childhood before it was over. She has held down a job since before she could drive, and moved into her own apartment after her freshman year of college. Now tending bar at The Red Door, Cami doesn’t have time for much else besides work and classes, until a trip to see her boyfriend is cancelled, leaving her with a first weekend off in almost a year.

Trenton Maddox was the king of Eastern State University, dating co-eds before he even graduated high school. His friends wanted to be him, and women wanted to tame him, but after a tragic accident turned his world upside down, Trenton leaves campus to come to grips with the crushing guilt.

Eighteen months later, Trenton is living at home with his widower father, and works full-time at a local tattoo parlor to help with the bills. Just when he thinks his life is returning to normal, he notices Cami sitting alone at a table at The Red.

As the baby sister of four rowdy brothers, Cami believes she’ll have no problem keeping her new friendship with Trenton Maddox strictly platonic. But when a Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever—even if she is the only reason their already broken family could fall apart.
My Thoughts
I've had Beautiful Oblivion on my shelves since it was published, and I never quite found the time to sit and read it. So when I got the chance to pick a few books off my TBR, Beautiful Oblivion was one of the first ones I picked up.
I really enjoyed visiting this world again and I like how Beautiful Oblivion crosses timelines with Beautiful Disaster...with that I might suggest that you read Beautiful Disaster before reading this, as it does give away a few key points in that story.

Trent, is the second Maddox brother I have met, and I like how we can see similar traits to Travis...Fiercely loyal, over protective and slightly over bearing, but determined to get what he wants, however Trent is less volatile than Travis. I really liked Cami in this book, and I did feel sorry for her in what she has had to deal with, and still deals with. Her relationship with her family is strained for this reason, but she is also fiercely loyal in that she will help them out even if it means she has to work harder.

Beautiful Oblivion was a book I flew through, and it also reminded me how much I miss this world and the Maddox family. Life is never easy for this family or anyone involved with them, but the journey that they take always leads to a happy ending (so far). The ending of this book had me fearing for the characters involved, but I also did not see THAT coming. When I read what THAT said I was speechless and shocked, and wondered how I never saw it coming. I need to find time to read the next book in the series.

Photobucket



Title: The Bane Chronicles
Author: Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson
Source: Blogger event
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
ver wanted to know why Magnus Bane is banned from Peru? Or what he got up to during the French Revolution? Or what he bought Shadowhunter Alec Lightwood as a birthday present? Read this book and find out! Originally released as individual e-only short stories by bestselling YA authors Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson and Sarah Rees Brennan, this gorgeous hardback brings all ten together in print for the first time and includes a never-before-seen eleventh tale, as well as new illustrated material.
My Thoughts
The Bane Chronicles is a book I had pushed on me acquired at a blogger event last year, and is also another that has been sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. It did take me a day or two to read this book, I wanted to make sure the individual stories stuck in my mind and didn't want to get thier details mixed up.
I really enjoyed reading this one. I loved being able to spend time with Magnus and see what events he has had a hand in. His story spans years, and although the fashion changes, Magnus definitely has his own sense of style, adding his usual flair to the fashion of the time. I loved getting to meet older family members that we have just heard about in passing, seeing what happens after certain events that we have read, or once again heard about. I also really loved seeing how Tessa was and how important a role she had for Clary.

The Bane Chronicles fills in some blanks, gives us another perspective to a story, and leave me wanting to finish the Mortal Instruments series. This is a perfect read for those who only want to tackle short stories, but also offers up the book as a whole for those who want to sit for a while. It also shows a different side to Magnus. He really does have a heart, and feelings, and goes to some drastic measures to heal himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...