Thursday, 10 December 2015

Review: Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom


Title: Not If I See You First
Author: Eric Lindstrom
Author Info: Website|Tumblr|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Poppy
Publication Date: 1st December 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Purchase: The Book Depository|Foyles

Tell Me About It
The Rules:

Don't deceive me. Ever. Especially using my blindness. Especially in public.

Don't help me unless I ask. Otherwise you're just getting in my way or bothering me.

Don't be weird. Seriously, other than having my eyes closed all the time, I'm just like you only smarter.

Parker Grant doesn't need 20/20 vision to see right through you. That's why she created the Rules: Don't treat her any differently just because she's blind, and never take advantage. There will be no second chances. Just ask Scott Kilpatrick, the boy who broke her heart.

When Scott suddenly reappears in her life after being gone for years, Parker knows there's only one way to react-shun him so hard it hurts. She has enough on her mind already, like trying out for the track team (that's right, her eyes don't work but her legs still do), doling out tough-love advice to her painfully naive classmates, and giving herself gold stars for every day she hasn't cried since her dad's death three months ago. But avoiding her past quickly proves impossible, and the more Parker learns about what really happened--both with Scott, and her dad--the more she starts to question if things are always as they seem. Maybe, just maybe, some Rules are meant to be broken.
My Thoughts
I first heard about Not If I See You First on Netgalley whilst browsing, and the bright colour had me clicking to find out more about this book before I put my request in.

Not If I See You First starts out like every book does, but you quickly find out that that Not If I See You First starts straight into the story, with no history or explanation about how Parker lost her sight. I really like how the story is told from Parker's point of view, and in all honesty, I did forget she was blind once I got into the story, it was only the odd moments where her blindness was mention that I remembered.

Parker is blind, she has also recently lost her Dad and now lives in her house with her Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins who moved into it to help Parker. She has a fantastic support system with her friends in school, who not only treat her as an equal, but they also keep her up to date with everything that is going on in the school, as well as following the rules (which will be shared below). Life for Parker is OK, but soon enough her worst nightmare is coming true. A recent closure of a school means that the students have to move to Parker's school, and among those is enemy number 1. Scott Kilpatrick. Someone who was Parker's best friend, boyfriend, and then betrayed her trust.

Not If I See You First was a book I flew through. I really enjoyed reading this book and I like how Parker came across as a confident person. After everything she has been through, the crash that took her Mum and her sight, the death of her Dad, and having to adjust to living with a whole new family can't be easy, and although Parker does have a few issues with things, she does get on with life and doesn't really sulk and hide away. She embraces her blindness and I really do like who she answers back to others who question her. As the book progresses we do see a few cracks in her facade, but I honestly think this was trying to get on with life, trying to push past the pain of loosing her father, which I know all to well. Parker is likeable and real.

Within the pages of Not If I See You First, Parker does have a love interest in Jason, and he was someone who I did instantly like. His whole attitude towards Parker in the shoe shop and how relaxed and welcoming he was towards her was a refreshing change, although I did change my mind slightly towards the middle of the book. The running track thing was brave, and stupid, but funny, all at the same time. I liked how open the teacher was towards Parker and how he aids her in achieving a target.

As the story progressed there were changes that I didn't expect, both good and bad. I really liked the positive changes, in the friendships and the relationships, how things in the past were explained and dealt with. The ending however, wasn't the outcome I expected. Although it didn't end on a definite HEA, I did like how it was left open for possibilities,


Final Verdict
Not If I See You First was an enjoyable read that I flew through. This is a great start for Eric Lindstrom and he will be in my watch list for future books.


The Rules 
  • Rule #1: Don't deceive me. Ever. Especially using my blindness. Especially in public. 
  • Rule #2: Don't touch me without asking or warning me. I can't see it coming, I will always be surprised, and I will probably hurt you. 
  • Rule #3: Don't touch my cane or any of my stuff. I need everything to be exactly where I left it. Obviously. 
  • Rule #4: Don't help me unless I ask. Otherwise you're just getting in my way or bothering me. 
  • Rule #5: Don't talk extra loud to me. I'm not deaf. You'd be surprised how often this happens. And if you're not surprised, you ought to be. 
  • Rule #6: Don't talk to people I'm with like they're my handlers. And yes, this also happens all the time. 
  • Rule #7: Don't speak for me, either. Not to anyone, not even your own friends or your kids. Remember, you're not my handler. 
  • Rule #8: Don't treat me like I'm stupid or a child. Blind doesn't mean brain damaged, so don't speak slowly or use small words. Do I really have to explain this? 
  • Rule #9: Don't enter or leave my area without saying so. Otherwise I won't even know if you're there. It's just common courtesy. 
  • Rule #10: Don't make sounds to help or guide me. It's just silly and rude, and believe me, you'll be the one who looks stupid and ends up embarrassed, not me. 
  • Rule #11: Don't be weird. Seriously, other than having my eyes closed all the time, I'm just like you only smarter. 
  • Rule #INFINITY: There are NO second chances. Violate my trust and I'll never trust you again. Betrayal is unforgivable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...