Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Review: The Vanishing Throne [The Falconer #2] by Elizabeth May


Title: The Vanishing Throne
Author: Elizabeth May
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction,
Series: The Falconer #2
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Gollancz
Publication Date: 19th November 2015
Rating: 5 stars
Purchase: The Book Depository|Foyles

Tell Me About It
My name is Lady Aileana Kameron.

First the fae murdered my mother. Then they destroyed my world.

Now I’m fighting for more than revenge.

Aileana took a stand against the Wild Hunt, and she lost everything: her home, her family and her friends. Held captive by her enemy, and tormenting herself over her failure, escape seems like only the faintest possibility. But when she gets her chance, she seizes it . . . to rejoin a world devastated by war.

The future is bleak. Hunted by the fae, running for her life, Aileana has only a few options left. Trying to become part of a society scarred by – and hiding from – the Wild Hunt; trusting that a fragile alliance with the fae will save her; or walking the most dangerous path at all: coming in to her own powers as the last of the Falconers . . .
My Thoughts
The Vanishing Throne is the second book in The Falconer series, and as soon as I finished The Falconer I knew I HAD to read this one, even before we had a name for it. The world that Elizabeth had created was full of wonder and creativity and I counted down the days to the publication of The Vanishing Throne.

Aileana Wakes up after events in The Falconer, to find herself trapped, with Lonnrach keeping her company, making sure she can't escape so he can use her to save Sìth-bhrùth. She has no idea how long she has been there for, or what has happened to her home or family. Being in this strange place, with someone who she wants to kill is not easy for Aileana, especially when Lonnrach is determined to torture her to get what he wants. The feelings of isolation, loss, and despair that Aileana goes through were portrayed well, and I just wanted to reach into the pages and help set her free.

Freedom eventually arrives, but not in the form Aileana expected, but even then it's not an easy escape, and with Aithinne as her savior together this duo must travel through Sìth-bhrùth to escape. Aithinne is Kieran's sister, who may be slightly crazy, but is also hilarious in what she says. We also find out the reason for her slight craziness.
'I'm getting you a damn dictionary.' I inspect my bleeding arm. The cut bisects five of the marks Lonnrach made, and I feel inexplicably proud of that. Good. Replace the old, bad memories with new badges. Start over.
'A dictionary,' she repeats. 'Is that a type of dessert?'
For the love of –'A type of book that explains the meaning of words.'
'Oh. That sounds terribly dull. I was really hoping for dessert.'
While we get to meet a few new faces we also get to see a few old ones, and although I did forget how much I liked Derrick, I am ridiculously happy to see him again, The Vanishing Throne isn't complete without a honey drunk pixie.

The Vanishing Throne is just as amazing as The Falconer was, but with The Vanishing Throne we get to see how the Falconers were made, and what the Vanishing Throne is exactly. We also get to see Aileana learn more about her powers and what she is capable of, with some epic fights to the death. The Vanishing Throne also answers a few things for us, giving us more information about Kieran and his past, and why he helps Aileana. We also get to visit Derricks home, which is pretty amazing , but not the ideal location for me.

Final Verdict
Looking back at this review I know it's vague, and possibly doesn't make any sense to anyone but me thanks to my rambling thoughts. But I loved The Vanishing Throne just as much as the previous book in the series. There is romance, dancing, fighting, and lots of death and destruction. The final chapter was not something I expected, and one again Elizabeth May has left us on a giant cliffhanger, and I really need to know how this affects Aileana but also her future as a Falconer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...