Thursday, 21 January 2016

Book Review: Between Shadows [Assassins #1] by Chanel Cleeton


Title: Between Shadows
Author: Chanel Cleeton
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: New Adult, Thriller, Romance
Series: Assassins #1
Source: Author
Publication Date: 19th January 2016
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
A sexy new thriller about love and revenge from the author of the Capital Confessions and International School series…

X lives by three rules: Show no weakness. Trust no one. Don’t get caught. She lives by the rules they gave her.

The Academy—set in London, shrouded in secrecy—it trains spies, computer experts, and assassins. Their mission? Dispensing justice and altering the course of world politics. Or so they think. In a world where secrets are weapons and some kills are impossible to forget, everything X thought she knew about her life is about to change.

They taught her to fight. To blend into the shadows like a ghost, to operate on the fringes of society, to change her identity with ease. They taught her to kill.

She’ll need every skill they taught her, to stay alive.
My Thoughts
I hadn't heard of Between Shadows until I was contacted by the author. I read an excerpt which gave us the first few pages of the book, and it definitely piqued my interest, so I accepted a copy for review. I began reading Between shadows, eager to find out who X really is, and what this academy is all about. Who isn't curious about a school full of spies and assassins. To the outside world,the Academy is an orphanage and school, but in reality it's a training school, where you learn skills for tech, or for murder.

The academy is the only place X calls her home, but it's a home she only stays in for her sister Grace. To ensure she is safe and doesn't come to any harm. Grace is all X has left from her family and she is determined to keep her safe, even if it means making sure Grace doesn't follow in her footsteps.
X comes across as tough, resilient, and willing to do anything for the Director. But the one thing that she holds dear could also be used as a weapon, and after several meetings X soon finds out what she believed in was a lie, but is also still expected to follow orders. Torn between wanting to keep her sister safe, and following orders, X finds herself in the company of Luke, who has his own agenda and is look for X's help.

Between Shadows was a mixed book for me. There were parts that I could not read fast enough, needing to know what happened next. The chases, the fights, and looking around every corner before making a move, just built up the tension and suspense in the book. These were the parts that had me reading to find out what would happen next, would X and Luke get caught, will they escape. But there were also a few parts that didn't hold my interest as much.
The transition parts, from one place to another, moving to different countries to get help, these parts just lacked the action for me, and although I obviously knew there couldn't be tension all the way through the book, I just felt like I had fallen so far, going from tense to extremely relaxed, and it just didn't hold my attention as much.

As characters though I liked X and Luke. I enjoyed seeing the chemistry between them, mixed in with feelings of betrayal, confusion, and distrust. I really liked seeing this duo work (if you can call the beginning of it work) as a team, trying to discover what was really going on, and trying to put a stop to it all. They are resilient, and resourceful, and certainly go through a lot to make it to the end of the book.

Final Verdict
Between Shadows was a promising start to a series, even though it didn't blow me away, and I am interested in seeing where it goes from here. The characters are likeable, and I wonder if we will follow Luke and X again, or if we will see a new mix of characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...