Thursday, 7 January 2016

Review: Holding out for a Hero by Victoria Van Tiem


Title: Holding out for a Hero
Author: Victoria Van Tiem
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Romance, Contemporary
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Publication Date: 14th January 2016
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
A funny, bitter-sweet romantic dramedy set to an 80's soundtrack.

The problem with first love is that it never truly dies.
Libby London fell in love in with the 80s, came of age in the 90s, and now, in the 21st Century, she's completely falling apart... Her New York City fashion sensibility is more 'vintage tragedy' than 'retro babe' and might just be what's holding her back in all matters of life and love...

At least that's what her well-meaning friends think. They've staged a #80sIntervention in an effort to bring Libby bang up-to-date. But how do you move forward when the one you love holds you in the past? Between her dreaded birthday party, friend's madcap ambush, and being forced to relocate her Pretty In Pink thrift shop, Libby's nearing the end of the rope... If her therapist isn't quick, it could be a literal one.
My Thoughts
Holding out for a Hero was a book that caught my attention pretty quickly, not only for the cover, but also the title. As soon as I read the synopsis I knew I had to read this one.
Right now, I need a hero. Seriously: where's my white knight upon a fiery steed? He doesn't need to be strong, fast, or fresh from the fight, he just needs to be larger than life and capable of saving mine.
Libby is living in the 80's, clothes, hairstyle, and job too. Her friends have decided it's time for her to join this century and persuade her to not only get a makeover, but also to go on dates with people they choose, otherwise known as #80sIntervention. Holding out for a Hero follows Libby on her journey of dates, growing up, learning to love, and trying to heal. Libby isn't too happy about this #80sIntervention, and not only is she trying to fend off her dates, but she is also trying to resolve her work location, and try to understand why she is waking up crying.

One quirk that Holding out for a Hero has, is that the chapter titles are from songs/movies from the 80's. This is the music I grew up listening to, and although I didn't recognise some of the movies, I have seen a few of them. Holding out for a Hero was an interesting read. I really liked how there are several different aspects to the plot of this book, and how they are all woven together and work well. One of the major parts of the plot isn't revealed until later on in the book, but I did manage to figure out what had happened, but this did not take away the enjoyment from this book.
Holding out for a Hero was like a blast from the past, and I found myself having songs stuck in my head and being perfectly able to picture the dress and accessory styles

Holding out for a Hero also deals very well with Libby's depression. It goes through the process of what happened to her, learning to come to terms with it, and also ways on how to deal with it. I thought that this was dealt with and explained really well.

Final Verdict
Holding out for a Hero was an enjoyable read. IT didn't really blow me away like I expected it to, but it did keep me reading and wanting to find out what happens in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...