Sunday, 28 February 2016

Book Review: The Heir [The Selection #4] by Kiera Cass


Title: The Heir
Author: Kiera Cass
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Series: The Selection #4
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Publication Date: 7th May 2015
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series has enchanted readers from the very first page. In this fourth romantic novel, follow Illea's royal family into a whole new Selection-and find out what happens after happily ever after.

Eighteen years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won Prince Maxon's heart. Now the time has come for Princess Eadlyn to hold a Selection of her own. Eadlyn doesn't expect her Selection to be anything like her parents' fairy-tale love story...but as the competition begins, she may discover that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought. A new generation of swoonworthy characters and captivating romance awaits in the fourth book of the Selection series!
My Thoughts
I've had The Heir waiting to be read for a while, and I just never got around to reading it. In an attempt to reduce my TBR pile by a few books, and also catch up on series that are still fresh in my mind, I decided to pick this one up. I have no idea why it took so long to get to reading The Heir, but it wasn't until I picked it up that I realised how much I missed this world and the characters, and in no time at all I had this book finished.

The Heir picks up years after the events in The One, this time we not with America and Maxon, but with thier children. Eadlyn is next in line for the throne, having been born 7 minutes before her brother Ahren. Much has changed since The One, the main change being the caste system is no longer in place, and while most people are happy about this, there are some still holding on to the old beliefs, fighting, arguing, and causing turmoil. Eadlyn is to take part in The Selection, in the hopes it reunites the kingdom, giving them something to look towards, rather than towards each other. She is very reluctant to participate, but by adding her own rules and stipulations she agrees.

The Heir lets us see the other side of the spectrum with Eadlyn, her decision will affect the throne, who she chooses will eventually become Prince Consort. We get to see the typical emotions of a teenager, going on her first date, her first kiss, worrying over what to wear. But we also see the 'job' part. The decisions she has to make for the Crown, the behind the scenes meetings and paperwork.
I loved how we get to catch up with some old faces and also see what has become of them.
"When we met, you couldn't stop staring at my breasts." His face went pale, as if he seriously thought he was so subtle no one would notice. "Make sure you get an equally satisfactory look at my backside as you leave."
Eadlyn was a surprising character for me. On one hand she is tough and strong and would do anything for her family, but on the other she is stubborn, resilient and very reluctant to let people in. I love the relationship she has with her twin brother, Ahren. This is one of the rare times that we see her open up and share her feelings and worries. Seeing this duo together just strengthens my feelings towards her.

The Heir was more than I expected it to be, I didn't think I could love characters more than I loved America and Maxon, but I was wrong. I was so drawn into this world and the pages of the book that I didn't realise I was coming to the end of the book. When an event happens my heart broke for the feelings of loss, and I could not help but shed a tear or twenty. Just when I thought we would get an answer something else is thrown in the mix that just made me cry more, especially with how The Selection come together.....and then it ends. Just lie that. On one of the worst cliffhangers ever. I NEED the next book in my life right now, I HAVE to know what happens.

Final Verdict
The Heir was so much more than I expected. I devoured the pages of this book and the ending came far too soon for me. This is a must read for fans of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...