Friday, 25 March 2016

Book Review: Flawed [Flawed #1] by Cecelia Ahern


Title: Flawed
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Author Info: Website|Journal|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Series: Flawed #1
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Publication Date: 24th March 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Celestine North lives a perfect life. She’s a model daughter and sister, she’s well-liked by her classmates and teachers, and she’s dating the impossibly charming Art Crevan.

But then Celestine encounters a situation in which she makes an instinctive decision. She breaks a rule and now faces life-changing repercussions. She could be imprisoned. She could be branded. She could be found FLAWED.

In this stunning novel, bestselling author Cecelia Ahern depicts a society in which perfection is paramount and mistakes are punished. And where one young woman decides to take a stand that could cost her everything.
My Thoughts
When I first heard of Flawed it was via a publicity email, so when I saw it on NetGalley I knew I had to read it. This is also the first book by Cecelia that I have read. I went into Flawed with no idea of what to expect from the book and the author, and I came out of it with lots of questions but also feeling really excited to see what happens next.

Flawed was a book that had my emotions swirling all around. I quickly fell into this world and at first it seemed like a reasonable way to live, knowing who is honest and who isn't, but as the book progresses we see how these rules can be twisted around to suit a purpose. People who do wrong are flawed and are branded with a big red F on certain areas of the body to signify what you are flawed for. Our protagonist, Celestine, is perfect in every single way, yet when she offers help to an old man who is struggling to breath she is seen as flawed. Yes, the man she helped was flawed himself, but for being kind and trying to help him to his seat she is punished. This made me so angry to see this, that this so called perfect society could easily turn thier heads to a person in need.

I really hated the way Celestine was treated, especially by her boyfriends Dad, who also happens to be Judge Crevan. He offers Celestine a chance to repent, but in doing so also means she is flawed. He wanted so much for his and his sons reputation to be unscathed he was willing to do anything to Celestine. From the moment I met Judge Crevan I disliked him, and the more we see how conniving he can be, the more I hated him.

Celestine was someone who really stands out, she shows bravery, concern, and most importantly, strength. She is faced with a lot of unwanted attention and in my opinion is unfairly judged, but to live how she does takes a lot of bravery, and it wasn't something I expected to see from her. I found Celestine to be a good, strong character, and I really like how she is determined to get her side of the story across, and doesn't do things my halves.

As you can see from my above rant, Flawed is a book that not only makes you think, but also has your emotions flying all over the place. I went from hating, to loving within pages of each other and I never knew what was going to happen next. I loved the world building, and the character development.

Final Verdict
Flawed is a must read book. I loved and hated every page of this book and I can't wait for the next installment to find out what happens next. My only question is what will happen when the truth comes out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...