Tuesday, 1 March 2016

Book Review: In Real Life by Jessica Love


Title: In Real Life
Author: Jessica Love
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Publication Date: 1st March 2016
Rating: 3 stars

Tell Me About It
Hannah Cho and Nick Cooper have been best friends since 8th grade. They talk for hours on the phone, regularly shower each other with presents, and know everything there is to know about one another.

There's just one problem: Hannah and Nick have never actually met.

Hannah has spent her entire life doing what she's supposed to, but when her senior year spring break plans get ruined by a rule-breaker, she decides to break a rule or two herself. She impulsively decides to road trip to Vegas, her older sister and BFF in tow, to surprise Nick and finally declare her more-than-friend feelings for him.

Hannah's romantic gesture backfires when she gets to Vegas and meets Nick's girlfriend, whom he failed to mention. And it turns out his relationship status isn't the only thing he's been lying to her about. Hannah knows the real Nick can't be that different from the online Nick she knows and loves, but now she only has one night in Sin City to figure out what her feelings for Nick really are, all while discovering how life can change when you break the rules every now and then.
My Thoughts
When I saw In Real Life on NetGalley the cover was the first thing that caught my attention, when I stopped to read the synopsis I had to know more about this book, and what secrets Nick is hiding.

Hannah is the perfect student and daughter, always getting good grades and never disobeying her parents wishes. But with her parents on holiday Hannah decides to break the rules and go on a road trip to see her best friend, a friend who she has never met in real life. With her sister and friend in to, they travel from California to Nevada to surprise Nick at his bands concert. But when they arrive Hannah finds out that although she thought she knew Nick, she obviously doesn't know him as well as she thought. Not only does he withhold that fact he has a girlfriend, but also fails to mention a few other details too.

In Real Life was a book I hadn't really heard much about, so I had no idea what to expect going into this one. I really liked the idea behind the story and when I did start reading I was very intrigued to see how it would all end. But about halfway through there was a bump in the road. I can't pinpoint it exactly and say 'this is the moment' but for some reason I lost my enthusiasm for this book.

I liked the characters, and for Hannah to travel and surprise Nick was a brave thing to do, but some small part of me thinks she overreacted slightly. She went into this with an idea of how it would all play out, and didn't really prepare herself for detours along the way. She argues with Nick, she resents his girlfriend, and she argues with her sister and friend. To be honest it was all her own idea to do this trip, and I didn't like how she treated everybody when it didn't go her way. By the time we reach the end of the book, things have gone a different way, and I did like seeing how it all ended for this group.

In Real Life was a book that I wasn't always 100% sure about, I much preferred the beginning and the end, rather than the middle. The idea was great on paper, and I liked how it all began, but I just didn't love it as much as I thought I would.

Final Verdict
In Real Life was an OK read for me. It kept me reading till the end so there was something about it that had me wanting to know what happened in the end, it just didn't keep me engrossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...