Monday, 11 April 2016

Book Review: Waylaid by Kim Harrison


Title: Waylaid
Author: Kim Harrison
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Science Fiction
Series: The Hollows & The Peri Reed Chronicles
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Pocket Star
Publication Date: 4th April 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Worlds collide when Rachel Morgan of The Hollows meets Peri Reed of The Drafter in this exciting new short story from #1 New York Times bestselling author Kim Harrison.

The paranormal and the futuristic meet in this thrilling novella featuring your favorite badass heroines from two of “the amazingly gifted” (RT Book Reviews) Kim Harrison’s most beloved series: the Hollows and the Peri Reed Chronicles. The magic of the Hollows runs full force into the technological sophistication of The Drafter when a device capable of carrying a city’s data stream pulls Rachel, the bounty hunter witch of the Hollows, between realities, marooning her in a world where the supernatural holds no sway. To get Rachel and Jenks home, Peri, the dangerous renegade of 2030, must decide what will chart her future: her blind trust in those who grant her power, or her intuition telling her to believe.
My Thoughts
Going into Waylaid I had some basic knowledge of Rachel. I own most of her books, but have only listened to the first book. However I have yet to read Peri's book, even though it's sitting waiting to be read. I was worried that reading Waylaid would spoil the series for me, but the author assured me that I could go into this blind, and not be spoiled.

Waylaid is set in Peri's world from The Drafter, with a hint of Rachel's world mixed in thanks to her arrival. Their worlds collide with the help of an accelerator, a tiny device created by Event Horizon. This device, with a bit of blood and magic, somehow transported Rachel to an alternate reality, where everything she knew hasn't happened, and she finds herself in the company of Peri.
Rachel was smiling as she came even with Peri. "It's what pixies are second best at."
"What are they best at?"
Rachel's smile widened. "Making more pixies."
I loved getting to see Rachel and Jenks in the pages of this book and seeing thier reaction to a new world. Peri was someone who I instantly liked, and I would love to have her abilities, especially when I've just missed a bus. Waylaid was a very quick read for me, and I really enjoyed getting to see Peri's world and how it all worked.

You may be wondering why I only gave Waylaid 4 stars, when I loved it so much, and that's any easy question to answer. I wanted more. When I began reading I fell into this book fast and hard, and before I knew it, the end had come. Just imagine what these two powerful women could do given the time and opportunity. I would love to have seen them have more time together, thier story was over far to fast for my liking.

Final Verdict
Waylaid was a book I really enjoyed, and it's left me wanting to binge read The Hollows and The Drafter. Waylaid is the perfect blend of two worlds, without spoilers, but with just enough of each to make this a unique read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...