Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Book Review: Jesse's Girl [Hundred Oaks] by Miranda Kenneally


Title: Jesse's Girl
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Author Info: Website|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Series: Hundred Oaks
Source: Purchased by myself
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: 7th July 2015
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Everyone at Hundred Oaks High knows that career mentoring day is a joke. So when Maya Henry said she wanted to be a rock star, she never imagined she’d get to shadow *the* Jesse Scott, Nashville’s teen idol.

But spending the day with Jesse is far from a dream come true. He’s as gorgeous as his music, but seeing all that he’s accomplished is just a reminder of everything Maya’s lost: her trust, her boyfriend, their band, and any chance to play the music she craves. Not to mention that Jesse’s pushy and opinionated. He made it on his own, and he thinks Maya’s playing back up to other people’s dreams. Does she have what it takes to follow her heart—and go solo?
My Thoughts
I have enjoyed the Hundred Oaks series from the beginning, I like how they can be read as a stand alone, or as part of a series, letting us catch up with some old friends in each new addition. I've had Jesse's Girl waiting to be read for a while, and getting the next book in the series for review was the incentive I needed to pick this one up.

Career mentoring isn't really popular at Hundred Oaks High, but for Maya it's her chance to see what really goes on, and get some ideas and inspiration for achieving her own dream of being in the spotlight. Maya gets to shadow THE Jesse Scott, she is unbelievable excited to get behind the scenes about his job, and hopefully get a few tips, but her first meeting of his has her regretting her decision and wanting to back out of it all, and honestly, I really don't blame her.  Jesse is a self absorbed, arrogant ass, and I really disliked him.. He automatically thinks Maya is a fan and his attitude towards her stinks, fan or not,that was no way to talk to someone.

Jesse's Girl was a fun read for me, not only did I like the story and most of the characters...some took a while for me to really like, it was also a book I could relax with and read, without the pressure of having to write a review. The progression of the story felt real, it wasn't rushed and it wasn't unbelievable. I liked how we see Jesse changing as the story goes on as his eyes are opened to life without the paparazzi and his security around him, getting to be a teenager and not a pop star. We get to experience the craziness of of Jesse's life, with the paparazzi following him, and constantly getting swarmed by fans.

There were ups and downs along the way between Jesse and Maya, some of them led to positive things, sharing secrets and hidden places, whilst others weren't. As the book neared the end, I wasn't sure what would happen, and I was glad to have it revealed and ending in a way I liked.

Final Verdict
Jesse's Girl is the perfect read for a relaxing day, it has the perfect mix of romance, adventure, and surprising turn to keep you interested all the way through. I can't wait to dive into the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...