Monday, 9 May 2016

Book Review: The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson + Author Interview


Title: The Unexpected Everything
Author: Morgan Matson
Author Info: Website|Tumblr|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's
Publication Date: 5th May 2016
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
From Morgan Matson, the bestselling author of Since You’ve Been Gone comes a feel-good story of friendship, finding yourself, and all the joys in life that happen while you’re busy making other plans.

Andie has a plan. And she always sticks to her plan.

Future? A top-tier medical school.
Dad? Avoid him as much as possible (which isn’t that hard considering he’s a Congressman and he’s never around).
Friends? Palmer, Bri, and Toby—pretty much the most awesome people on the planet, who needs anyone else?
Relationships? No one’s worth more than three weeks.

So it’s no surprise that Andie’s got her summer all planned out too.

Until a political scandal costs Andie her summer pre-med internship, and lands both she and Dad back in the same house together for the first time in years. Suddenly she’s doing things that aren’t Andie at all—working as a dog walker, doing an epic scavenger hunt with her dad, and maybe, just maybe, letting the super cute Clark get closer than she expected. Palmer, Bri, and Toby tell her to embrace all the chaos, but can she really let go of her control?
My Thoughts
I am a big fan of Morgan Matson, so when The Unexpected Everything unexpectedly landed in my letter box I was beyond excited. I had been stalking netgalley for this book, and to be able to hold it in my hands was a bookish delight. The minute I began reading The Unexpected Everything I was hooked, and what made this book even better is that it's set in a familiar town, with some characters that I know and love from a previous book, Since You've Been Gone.

Andie had her future all planned out, but some scandal involving money going into a wrong account for her Fathers campaign, means the congressman has to take a leave of absence until the matter is all solved, this has ramifications on Andie when she receives a phone call from the Young Scholar Program withdrawing her acceptance. At a loss of what to do Andie desperately looks for a way to fill her time over the summer, in order not to have a blank space on her resume, and she soon finds herself with the job of a dog walker.

Andie was a character who I instantly liked. Her personality jumps out of the page and really makes you want to get to know her better. I think her Fathers job does put a lot of pressure on her to be this 'good, wholesome girl' and being in the spotlight means she has to make adjustments to things we take for granted. I liked how close she was with her small group of friends. The text messages between them all was hilarious, especially the added addition of emojis and a dare...where even I struggled to understand what was being said.

The Unexpected Everything was a big book to tackle, but I made my way through it quite quickly. I really liked seeing Andie step outside her comfort zone in so many ways, no plans, new job, love interest, and seeing these events play out through the story. The characters we meet at the beginning of the book go through a lot of changes, and by the time we reach the end, things have changed in a big way. But seeing the history of this friendship, something like this was bound to happen eventually, maybe not in these circumstances (which I think Toby took it way too far) but in some other way.

The Unexpected Everything was everything I expected from Morgan Matson, and more. We were taken on a journey of growth, emotional development, truth, love, and firsts. We see the ups and downs of family ties, and friendship, and at one point I nearly cried, but managed to keep the tears at bay (I was in work)

Final Verdict
The Unexpected Everything is a book that needs to be on your shelf. I loved every pages of this book and the next book I read from my pile has a lot to live up to.



I am super excited to share a quick interview with Morgan Matson, who took time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions.

1.Your books are packed full of feelings, some happy, some really sad (Second Chance Summer had me sobbing), are they inspired by your real life events, or just imagination?
It’s some of both! There are a lot of bits I make up, but many of the things in my books are inspired by my real life. For example, in Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, several of their adventures were inspired by my own road trips across America. And the friendships in The Unexpected Everything were very much inspired by my own high school friendships. So it’s a mixture!

2.Which book was your favourite to write? Which was your easiest? Which was your hardest?
It’s so hard to pick… I think my most recent book, The Unexpected Everything, might have been the easiest (although none of them are easy – it’s a relative scale!). Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour was probably the hardest, it was my first book, and it was a really big learning curve.

3.When you write do you plan ahead, or go with the flow?
I tend to go with the flow. I compare it to taking a trip; I like to know my final destination, but I like being surprised along the way with side trips, detours, etc. I definitely don’t plan out every little thing that happens.

4.Do you have any more books planned?
Yes! I’m writing my next one now, it should be coming out next summer.

5.If you weren't an author, what job would you like to do?
I’d probably work in advertising. I’m always coming up with slogans for things!

6.Do you have any authors you look up to and admire?
So many – the YA author community is so wonderful! I’m lucky enough to be friends with people like Marie Lu, Leigh Bardugo, Jenny Han, and Sarah Dessen.

7.If you could host a tea party with anyone alive or dead, what five people would you choose?
Wonderful question! I’d pick: Oscar Wilde, Alexander Hamilton, Taylor Swift, William Shakespeare, and J. K. Rowling.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've heard a few people talking about this one and it definitely sounds interesting. :)

    Katie @ The Queen of Teen Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...