Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Audiobook Review: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban [Harry Potter #3] by J.K. Rowling


Title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Author: J.K. Rowling
Author Info: Website|News|Twitter|Facebook
Narrator: Stephen Fry
Series: Harry Potter #3
Source: Midas PR
Running Time: 12 hours 31 minutes
Publisher: Pottermore from J.K. Rowling
Publication Date: 20th November 2015
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
'Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, step on board and we can take you anywhere you want to go.'

When the Knight Bus crashes through the darkness and screeches to a halt in front of him, it's the start of another far from ordinary year at Hogwarts for Harry Potter. Sirius Black, escaped mass-murderer and follower of Lord Voldemort, is on the run - and they say he is coming after Harry. In his first ever Divination class, Professor Trelawney sees an omen of death in Harry's tea leaves.... But perhaps most terrifying of all are the Dementors patrolling the school grounds, with their soul-sucking kiss....
My Thoughts
It's been a while since I last read these books, and my most recent update on this book has been the movie. But like all book adaptations, the movies miss out on a lot of the good stuff. Getting to revisit Prisoner of Azkaban in full was a treat for me, and I couldn't wait to dive into this one.

Prisoner of Azkaban brings a lot of new characters for us to meet, both good and bad. We get to hear about the Knight Bus, and Dementors, and The Grim. Possibly one of the most monumental meetings takes place in this book, a meeting where Harry discovers he isn't so alone in the Wizarding world, that he has family who love him. But this revelation also comes with a lot of negativity. Sirius has escaped from Azkaban, and is looking for Harry. Everyone thinks he is out to kill Harry and finish the job that was never finished, but they are all wrong, and as the book progresses we get to learn more about Harry's parents and thier life at school.

Prisoner of Azkaban was a book I couldn't put down, and although it did take me forever to finish, I enjoyed every second of it. I absolutely love Peeves and the mischief he gets up to, and the Marauders Map comes in very handy for Harry and his friends. We also get to see more of Buckbeaks trial, and the visits to Hogsmede. But most importantly we are introduced to Pigwidgeon, who I really missed from the movies.

Just like the previous books, Prisoner of Azkaban follows Harry in his third year of Hogwarts. The classes are more harder, tests are imminent, and Snape's hatred of Harry is more visible. I loved everything about this book, the trips to Hogsmede, the revelation of Sirius's past, even Hagrid's disastrous lessons. I love that I get to revisit this series with almost fresh eyes, it's been so long since my last read I have forgotten some of the small details that really make this book shine.

Narration
Stephen Fry once again does a great job of not only telling the story, but also keeping you enraptured, needing to know what happens next. He has the right tone of voice for all moments, and makes the funnier ones even more hilarious.

Final Verdict
I enjoyed Prisoner of Azkaban far more than I expected to. I loved getting to 'read' this book again and have all of the detail there. I am both excited and scared to start the next book, mainly because I know how sad it makes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...