Monday, 6 June 2016

Audiobook Review: Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie


Title: Peter Pan
Author: J. M. Barrie
Narrator: Lily Collins
Genre: Classics, Children's
Source: Midas PR
Publisher: Audible Studios
Running Time: 4 hours 51 minutes
Publication Date: 10th May 2016
Rating: 2 stars

Tell Me About It
There are few characters in literature more iconic than J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan, the Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up. Originally introduced in 1902 in another Barrie novel (The Little White Bird), Peter's story was expanded as a standalone novel in 1911 and since then has been memorably adapted for the movies, for television, and for stage.
Now, actress Lily Collins (The Blind Side, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones) brings new, youthful energy to Peter's magical adventures - her performance capturing the innocence and wonder of Barrie's original tale. Through Collins' voice you'll rediscover your favorite characters: Captain Hook, the Darlings, Tinker Bell, The Lost Boys, and a tick-tocking crocodile. And you'll fly along with Peter through Neverland - a place full of magic and adventure; a place where no one gets old.
My Thoughts
When I was given the chance to review Peter Pan audiobook I jumped at the chance. As a reader I went through phases of reading, and tended to stick to familiar genres, so I never tackled Peter Pan or books like this.
I was very excited to make a start on this and as soon as I had the audiobook on my iPod I made a start. As you all know I do most of my listening on my work journey or going to bed, and although Peter Pan is only 4 hours long, it took me a while to actually finish this one. The main reason for this was the story itself and I would fall asleep a lot during moments that didn't keep me engrossed.

The story didn't really keep me interested, it went through phases of me listening, and then not paying attention. I think a lot of this is down to the language that they use, it's very old fashioned and a lot of words would not be used today by children, even the propriety of girls and boy didn't fit well with me.

I felt sorry for Peter Pan and the Lost Boys, mainly the lost boys as Peter forbids them from talking about things he doesn't understand, as well as pretend eating where they don't actually eat at all. The story felt outdated and I did find myself more angry at moments than I would have been.

Narration
Lily does a great job at making Peter Pan somewhat interesting, and it's her that kept me going through this book. Unfortunately this is one of the few redeeming qualities about this audiobook.

Final Verdict
Peter Pan for me was an OK book, and I did like some aspects of it, but I struggled a lot. I think I am more of a Disney version Peter Pan than original version.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...