Monday, 4 July 2016

Book Review: Summer Days, Summer Nights Edited by Stephanie Perkins


Title: Summer Days, Summer Nights
Editor: Stephanie Perkins
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Publication Date: 2nd June 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
This beautiful collection features twelve gorgeously romantic stories, by some of the most talented and exciting YA authors writing today. Includes: Leigh Bardugo, Nina LaCour, Libba Bray, Francesca Lia Block, Stephanie Perkins, Tim Federle, Veronica Roth, Jon Skovron, Brandy Colbert, Cassandra Clare, Jennifer E Smith, Lev Grossman.

My Thoughts
After reading and finishing My true Love Gave to Me, I knew I had to read Summer Days, Summer Nights. I was eager to see what amazing authors Stephanie had enclosed within the pages. In anthologies I tend to go to familiar authors before tacking the unknown so before I began reading Summer Days, Summer Nights I made the conscious decision to read authors that were new to me. To begin the book with the unknown rather than the safe.

Summer Days, Summer Nights is an anthology of 12 stories from a variety of authors. For my review I will be sharing the stories that really stood out for me.

The End of Love by Nina LaCour
This is a story about the end of love, but also the start of something. About ends and beginnings, and making friends. The protagonist is escaping the craziness at home with her parents divorce, so she goes back to summer school. Here she audits a geometry class, even though she knows everything, and at one point even takes over the class. She meets old faces and makes new friends, and finds that ray of happiness in a messed up moment in time.

Last Stand at the Cinegore by Libba Bray
This one I really enjoyed. A trio of friends are working at the cinema that is due to be demolished. Their last showing is an old movie, I Walk This earth, that is supposedly cursed. I really liked how this story was told, and although I guessed what would happen, I liked seeing it all play out and how it was ended. The added touch of unrequited love made the protagonist even more of a hero.

Good Luck and Farewell by Brandy Colbert
Audrey is leaving for San Francisco and her cousin Rashinda isn't happy. Audrey is the one person who really gets her, and Rashinda is feeling very resentful towards Audrey's girlfriend for taking her away. We say goodbye to Audrey with a small family gathering, and rescue a very drunk girlfriend. But Rashinda soon realises that saying goodbye to one person my mean welcoming someone new into her life. I enjoyed reading this story and could really see how hurt Rashinda was with it all, especially oven her past.

A Thousand Ways This Could All Go Wrong by Jennifer E. Smith
Annie has a huge crush on Griffin Reilly and has imagined various scenarios where she meets him, and they walk off into the distance catching up, or him being dazzled by her wit. what she didn't expect was to see him in the supermarket straight after work at the camp, all sweaty and dirty. This was a really sweet story and was everything I expected from the author.

In Ninety Minutes, Turn North by Stephanie Perkins
Marigold is still reeling over the break up with her ex, someone who wasn't prepared to travel three and a half hours to visit her. But now she's in Mississippi, hoping to convince him to go back with her, live together, and g to college. I really enjoyed how this story played out, the tour, the discussions, and the finale.

Final Verdict
Overall Summer Days, Summer Nights was a great read. I loved being able to read new authors to me, but also catch up with some old favourites.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, this sounds really good. Might just have to add this to my beach book list :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...