Monday, 11 July 2016

Book Review: Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall


Title: Under Rose-Tainted Skies
Author: Louise Gornall
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Source: Publicist
Publisher: Chicken House Books
Publication Date: 7th July 2016
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
Agoraphobia confines Norah to the house she shares with her mother.

For her, the outside is sky glimpsed through glass, or a gauntlet to run between home and car. But a chance encounter on the doorstep changes everything: Luke, her new neighbour. Norah is determined to be the girl she thinks Luke deserves: a ‘normal’ girl, her skies unfiltered by the lens of mental illness. Instead, her love and bravery opens a window to unexpected truths …

An important and uplifting debut from a British author, which tackles mental health issues such as agoraphobia and OCD.

My Thoughts
It's been a week since I finished Under Rose-Tainted Skies, and I'm still trying to formulate my thoughts, trying to get them down onto paper (or screen in this case) about what I thought of this book, and honestly, there is no way I could ever do it justice. How can I put down in words how much I loved this book, how much it affected me on so many levels, how much I loved Norah and Luke. I really did not want to put this book down, I even made myself read slower to make it last a little bit longer.
Instead, I'm supposed to remind myself that we bother because if I don't learn how to control my fears, I'm going to die cold and alone. Hidden in my room while strangers post messages of condolences on my social media and rabid cats eat my decomposing corpse.
Norah is a character that was so easy to like, admire, feel sorry for. Each day is a struggle for her, not only with agoraphobia but also OCD, the tapping, the steps, the teeth brushing, the germs, all of these mean Norah finds it hard to live a 'normal' life, and eventually it forced her indoors, to the safety of her home, and being home schooled. Throughout the pages of Under Rose-Tainted Skies we get to see first hand what she experiences, how she feels the needs to do things, and also how traumatic just a routine trip to the counselor is for her. The thought of putting her foot out of the door brings on panic attacks.
Luke is her new neighbour, someone who mistakes a shoo as a wave, and makes a point of introducing himself to Norah. He is unaware of her condition and does not give in with invites to parties, or lifts to school, When he finds out what is really going on he is not only supportive, but understanding, and does what he can to make sure Norah is OK.

Under Rose-Tainted Skies is a debut book by Louise Gornall, and guys just know that she is an author to have on your to-read lists. Under Rose-Tainted Skies was a book I went into with no expectations, and came away with a book hangover, struggling to sit down and read for a few days after, and even now I'm still thinking of it.

Final Verdict
I know that this isn't really a proper review, it's more rambling than anything else, but I really can't tell you how much I loved this book. You have to read this to experience it yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I heard great things about this book and I am really intrigued too check it out. Thank you for your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...