Saturday, 16 July 2016

Book Review: Who's Afriad? By Maria Lewis


Title: Who's Afraid?
Author: Maria Lewis
Author Info: Website|News|Facebook|Twitter|Tumblr
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Piatkus Books
Publication Date: 14th July 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Meet Tommi Grayson: she's all bark . . . and all bite

'It was like my wolf had been there all along, waiting for me to tap its hand and step into the ring . . .'

Tommi Grayson's never exactly been a normal girl. Bright blue hair, a mysterious past and barely controlled rage issues have a way of making a woman stand out. Yet she's never come close to guessing who she really is . . .

When her mother dies, a shattered Tommi decides to track down her estranged father. Leaving Scotland for a remote corner of New Zealand, she discovers the truth of her heritage - and it's a whole lot more than merely human.

Barely escaping with her life, now Tommi must return to her her friends, pretending everything is normal, while all too aware of the dangers lurking outside - and within. Worse still, something has followed her home . . .

With the clock ticking, can Tommi learn to control her new powers in time to save the ones she loves?
My Thoughts
What drew me to Who's Afraid? Was the press release, promoting it for fans of Patricia Briggs. That with the cover made me very interested in this book and as soon as it arrived I made a start on reading it.
Who's Afraid? is a book that drew me in, I needed to know more about Tommi and her life, getting to know her and her friends. We learn more about Tommi's past with her, as she discovers the truth about her Mum, and her heritage. But what could have been a nice family reunion quickly turns into something much worse, and Tommi finds herself going home with more than she bargained for.

Finding out she is a werewolf is a huge shock for Tommi, and I really like how it was all portrayed, even the typical change was different. I liked how we got the time to know the characters and learn about their relationships before we are hit with the werewolf issues. It wasn't rushed along at all and felt natural, if being a werewolf could ever be natural. Tommi was a character that I felt could really be a great friend, someone who would stand by your side no matter what. Her group of friends was small, but strong and felt real. Tommi herself is a very unique person, but having bright blue hair will do that for you. She comes across as a bitch to some people, but to those who are in her inner circle we can see the caring side.

I enjoyed getting to see this new side of Tommi, the new abilities she has, how adept she is already with some things that older wolves scant do. The training regime was funny to see her mistakes, but also marvel at her strength.

Who's Afraid? is a book that has a diverse blend of characters, from all walks of life. The plot is paced nicely without it feeling rushed, but there isn't a moment where you can relax your guard, something is always around the corner. I like how the story played out, and although I was sad at how something ended, I did see how this helped with the next installment. By the end of the book I thought of the characters as friends (or enemies) and I really didn't want it to end.

Final Verdict
Who's Afraid? did not disappoint at all, except for me having it in my hands at publication and having to wait forever to see what happens next. Tommi is a kick ass character, and with her new abilities I'm excited to see what happens next for her.

1 comment:

  1. Great review this one looks and sounds absolutely fantastic and right up my alley. Plus I totally love urban fantasy. Thank you for your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...