Friday, 26 August 2016

Audiobook Review: The Hatching [The Hatching #1] by Ezekiel Boone


Title: The Hatching
Author: Ezekiel Boone
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Narrator: George Newbern
Series: The Hatching #1
Source: Publisher
Running Time: 8 hrs and 47 mins
Publisher: Orion Publishing Group Limited
Publication Date: 5th July 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
An astonishingly inventive and terrifying debut novel about the emergence of an ancient species, dormant for over the thousand years, and now on the march.

Deep in the jungle of Peru, where so much remains unknown, a black, skittering mass devours an American tourist whole. Thousands of miles away, an FBI agent investigates a fatal plane crash in Minneapolis and makes a gruesome discovery. Unusual seismic patterns register in a Kanpur, India earthquake lab, confounding the scientists there. During the same week, the Chinese government “accidentally” drops a nuclear bomb in an isolated region of its own country. As these incidents begin to sweep the globe, a mysterious package from South America arrives at a Washington, D.C. laboratory. Something wants out.

The world is on the brink of an apocalyptic disaster. An ancient species, long dormant, is now very much awake.
My Thoughts
The Hatching was a book I had saw a few times around the blogosphere, the cover and the brief synopsis drawing me in. Who wouldn't want to read a book about some ancient creature coming back to life and going on a rampage.......they were my exact thoughts until I realised it was about spiders 🕷🕷🕷🕷🕷🕷🕷

I have a severe phobia of spiders, I've been known to climb/step/run out of cupboard so fast to escape spiders it could qualify for the sprint and hurdles at the Olympics, no matter what size spider it is, if I can see it then it needs to go, ideally going to spider heaven, or to another garden in work. Knowing that The Hatching is about spiders, I can clearly see how the amazing cover is spider webs, and not some creepy design which I thought was quite nice.

Determined to give this book a try one I realised what it was really about, I made the conscious decision to listen to the book during the day, knowing it would give me nightmares of a night, and even then I was pushing my luck, having shivers whenever a spider is mentioned and getting seriously creeped out. But in all honesty, once the major spider parts were over with (by major I mean eating you alive, bursting out of your skin parts) the story wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. Thankfully we get to see a lot of the plans and the action of getting said spiders and nuking them to extinction. Although I didn't necessary need to know the ins and outs of the spider species.

The Hatching was genuinely an interesting book to listen to, and I was happily surprised to find out that there was more going on that didn't scare me, than what did. I liked that we get to see what is happening all over the world, from China, to USA, to Scotland, and how people are dealing with it. I enjoyed the inside knowledge and backstage bits that let us see the 'attacks' as they happen when important people are informed, having all the information in front of them and us all in one place.

The progression of the story itself went well, not feeling hurried or too slow. The invasion of the spiders was unique but seeing how they travel really did creep me out, even down to working as a team to get to the next piece of land or food.

The ending wasn't something I expected, and I was convinced that my iPod had messed up and either skipped a chapter tor two, or had mixed up the playlist, but after a quick check I found all was in place. For me the ending came to fast and wasn't really resolved, but after checking on Goodreads I discovered that there is another book coming out next year, and I am both wanting to read this but also fearing it, knowing that there will be a lot more spider action in this one than The Hatching.

Final Verdict
The Hatching isn't for the fainthearted, or people who don't like blood and gore....or spiders. But honestly the blood and gore is far worse than the spider bits, so sufferers of arachnophobia can listen to this without the worry of it being spiders constantly here, there, and everywhere. Strangely enough the spiders bother me more than blood and gore, but it can be very descriptive at points. I did find myself growing to like the characters and wanting to now what they do to get rid of these spiders, and the lengths they will go to, especially after the introduction of them being the first wave of an attack.

🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷
🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷
🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷
🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷
🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷
🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷 🕷
🕷 🕷
🕷

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...