Monday, 19 September 2016

Book Review: The Graces [The Graces #1] by Laure Eve


Title: The Graces
Author: Laure Eve
Author Info: Website|News|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Series: The Graces #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Faber & Faber
Publication Date: 1st September 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Everyone said the Graces were witches.
They moved through the corridors like sleek fish, ripples in their wake. Stares followed their backs and their hair.
They had friends, but they were just distractions. They were waiting for someone different.
All I had to do was show them that person was me.


Like everyone else in her town, River is obsessed with the Graces, attracted by their glamour and apparent ability to weave magic. But are they really what they seem? And are they more dangerous than they let on?

This beautifully-written thriller will grip you from its very first page.
My Thoughts
I first heard about The Graces before the proof copies were in existence, where I was lucky enough to attend an event and hear Laure read from the book. From that point on I knew I needed to have this book in my possession.

Thalia, Fenrin, and Summer are all Graces, siblings who are the IT crowd, everybody wants to be them, and be seen with them. However, everyone also has a small sense of fear of them, believing them all to be witches. River is fascinated by the Graces, and will do anything in her power to become one of them, no matter the sacrifice.

The Graces was a book I thoroughly enjoyed, I love how there is a fascination with the Graces themselves, how they are perceived to be untouchable, yet when someone manages to get close we start to see a different side to them. We see thier truths, thier lies, and thier fears, and that they are not all they have cracked up to be.

River is someone who we don't really get to know before she meets the Graces, even her name is withheld until she is given her new name, and this just adds to the mystery about her, why he Father left, and who she really is. When I began reading I really liked River, I liked how she was determined to do something and not let anything get in her way. But as the story progresses I think she becomes obsessive over what she wants, to a point where strange things happen around her. Without her need and desire to be a Grace, she was a nice person. By the time I had reached the end of the book I had gone through several feelings about her, and I left her really undecided about what was revealed and what she plans to do.
The Graces were people who I did like, they may have everything in the palm of thier hands, but it also comes with a lot of unwanted attention, and strict rules from parents, and a curse that seems to have a hold of everything involving this mysterious trio. Their persona that they portray is so different from the real Graces, and I did feel sorry for them towards the end, having to deal with the end result as well as a new revelation.

The Graces is a book that is beautiful and intricate in it's design, but the magic inside is more simple, more basic without the fanciness, but it's what makes this a great story. It feels more 'real' and less 'fantasy', like anyone could achieve it.

Final Verdict
The Graces is a must read for fans of The Craft, magic, and a great fantasy read. I can't wait to see what happens next in book two of the series.

1 comment:

  1. This book is sure getting mixed reviews. Your is the first positive i have read so far. But i'm hesitant to try this.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...