Thursday, 29 September 2016

Book review: The Veil [Devil's Isle #1] by Chloe Neill


Title: The Veil
Author: Chloe Neill
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Series: Devil's Isle #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Gollancz
Publication Date: 14th April 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Seven years ago, the Veil that separates humanity from what lies beyond was torn apart, and New Orleans was engulfed in a supernatural war. Now, those with paranormal powers have been confined in a walled community that humans call the District. Those who live there call it Devil's Isle.

Claire Connolly is a good girl with a dangerous secret: she’s a Sensitive, a human endowed with magic that seeped through the Veil. Claire knows that revealing her skills would mean being confined to Devil’s Isle. Unfortunately, hiding her power has left her untrained and unfocused.

Liam Quinn knows from experience that magic makes monsters of the weak, and he has no time for a Sensitive with no control of her own strength. But when he sees Claire using her powers to save a human under attack—in full view of the French Quarter—Liam decides to bring her to Devil’s Isle and the teacher she needs, even though getting her out of his way isn’t the same as keeping her out of his head.

But when the Veil threatens to shatter completely, Claire and Liam must work together to stop it, or else New Orleans will burn…
My Thoughts
The Veil is the first book by Chloe Neill that I have read, so although the synopsis definitely captured my attention, I went into this book with no expectations at all. When I began reading The Veil I fell into this world easily, it's a perfect mix of 'normal' and 'paranormal' as these two try to live side by side.

Claire lives and works in her family shop, looking after it all after the death of her father. She has a few close friends Tadji and Gunner, who look out for each other and thier neighbours, but what they don't know is that Claire is a sensitive. After the Veil was torn apart and then sealed, some magic remained, those who are 'infected' are move to Devil's Isle to live in a contained area, Claire must keep her secret to herself or find herself in the company of creatures who would gladly get rid of her. As The Veil progresses we see Claire in some life or death situations that will force her to use her ability, and put herself in danger.

The Veil was a book I really enjoyed. I found it easy to relate to the characters and liked reading how they are surviving in this new world. They have a nice community where everyone bands together to survive, raising crops, swapping food etc. The friendships that Claire has are small but strong, and when it really hits the fan her friends are there to stand by her side.

The Veil is a book full of magic, and culture, of survival, and hope. I found myself enjoying this book more than I expected and really getting lost within the pages. There were moments in the book that I didn't expect to happen, and some parts had me worried over what was going to happen to Claire or other characters placed in a bad situation.

Final Verdict
The Veil was a book that surprised me with how easily I fell into this new world, I loved everything about this book and I can't wait to dive into the next book.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh great review I haven't read any books by this author but I have heard amazing things about this book, it really looks and sounds absolutely fantastic and right up my alley. Thank you for the awesome post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...