Monday, 10 October 2016

Audiobook Review: Under the Lights [The Field Party #2] by Abbi Glines


Title: Under the Lights
Author: Abbi Glines
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter
Narrators: Jeremy York, Rebekkah Ross, Jacques Roy
Series: The Field Party #2
Running Time: 6 hrs and 55 mins
Source: Audible UK via Midas PR
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
Publication Date: 23rd August 2016
Rating: 2 stars

Tell Me About It
Willa can’t erase the bad decisions of her past that led her down the path she’s on now. But she can fight for forgiveness from her family. And she can protect herself by refusing to let anyone else get close to her.

High school quarterback and town golden boy Brady used to be the best of friends with Willa—she even had a crush on him when they were kids. But that’s all changed now: her life choices have made her a different person from the girl he used to know.

Gunner used to be friends with Willa and Brady, too. He too is larger than life and a high school football star—not to mention that his family basically owns the town of Lawton. He loves his life, and doesn’t care about anyone except himself. But Willa is the exception—and he understands the girl she’s become in a way no one else can.

As secrets come to light and hearts are broken, these former childhood friends must face the truth about growing up and falling in love…even if it means losing each other forever.
My Thoughts
I've been a fan of Abbi Glines for a while, and when her new series was released I couldn't wait to make a start on it. I've not long finished reading Until Friday Night and I really enjoyed it so couldn't wait to listen to Under the Lights.
Although Under the Lights is a relatively short book to listen to, the listening started at a bad time (new meds + getting used to them = falling asleep super fast) so instead of me listening for thirty minutes to an hour, I was asleep within five minutes.

The protagonists of this story, Willa, Gunner, and Brady were all friends growing up until Willa was sent back home. Time moves on as it does, and people grow, from children into teenagers. Now Willa is back living with her Nan, and back at school with Gunner and Brady, but time apart makes it hard for this trio to pick things back up and start again.

Under the Lights was a book I was excited to read and I dove in with enthusiasm. But after several chapters I realised that I wasn't going to enjoy this as much as I thought. For me the majority of the story focuses on the feelings everybody has for Willa, and the constant attempts to gain her affection from Gunner, Brady, and Asa. the story felt more or a four way love square than anything else. The pacing of the story just didn't work for me at all. It felt slow and very still, and just when things start to get a bit too boring there is a surprise thrown in, either from Willa or Gunner, some secret from their past coming out of the woodwork.

There are a lot of characters involved in Under the Lights, but I honestly can't remember much about them as the whole story is focused on this trio of friends. The plot and the story are pretty unrememberable for me, and I honestly feel like this could have been a much better read without the 'I love her, I think I love him' back and forth. It got pretty boring after the first several times, especially when the males go all cave man about it all.

Even though I didn't think much of the book, I did finish it. There were a few moments that did capture my attention and had me wanting to know more but there just wasn't enough to make me love this book.

Narration
I did like the narration of this story, and how the characters had their own 'voice' rather than it just being the usual male and female roles.

Final Verdict
Under the Lights was a somewhat disappointing read for me, with only the occasional interesting thing to keep me reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...