Tuesday, 4 October 2016

Book Review: The Deviants by C.J. Skuse


Title: The Deviants
Author: C.J. Skuse
Author Info: Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Thriller, Contemporary
Source: YALC
Publisher: HQ Young Adult
Publication Date: 22nd September 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
When you set out for revenge, dig two graves

Growing up in the sleepy English seaside town of Brynston, the fearless five – Ella, Max, Corey, Fallon and Zane – were always inseparable. Living up to their nickname, they were the adventurous, rowdy kids who lived for ghost stories and exploring the nearby islands off the coast. But when Max’s beloved older sister Jessica is killed, the friendship seems to die with her.

Now years later, only Max and Ella are in touch; still best friends and a couple since they were thirteen. Their lives are so intertwined Max’s dad even sponsors Ella’s training for the Commonwealth Games. But Ella is hiding things. Like why she hates going to Max’s house for Sunday dinner, and flinches whenever his family are near. Or the real reason she’s afraid to take their relationship to the next level.

When underdog Corey is bullied, the fearless five are brought back together again, teaming up to wreak havoc and revenge on those who have wronged them. But when the secrets they are keeping can no longer be kept quiet, will their fearlessness be enough to save them from themselves?
My Thoughts
The Deviants was a book I heard about just before YALC, and I was lucky enough to snag myself a copy whilst there. When I got home it found itself on my shelf for a few months before I got around to reading it. C.J. Skuse is an author that is pretty new to me, I've only ever read one of her books which I loved, so I was both eager and nervous to make a start on this one.

The Deviants is a book that progresses slowly, ensuring you get the whole picture of what has happened and what is currently going on. We get to see the history between this group of friends and how it all fell apart. The way the chapters are written was ingenious, they answer a question that has been asked in the previous chapter, leading us along the journey with the characters.

The Deviants is a book that holds its secrets well, giving you little hints throughout the pages leaving you to guess what happened and how it will all end. Although I did guess a few things that had happened, the complete picture was a surprise for me, and the emotions I went through with this revelation had me pausing for a few minutes. Part of me was happy and relieved it was finally out, that there would be no more secrets and lies, but another part of me was heartbroken for what the characters went through, for what they still go through every single day.

The characters of the story really appealed to me, even if they were occasional idiots and not thinking things through or acting nicely. They come from all walks of life and have thier own family issues going on, yet they somehow manage to re-group and form a nice little unit that really helps each other out (the basement trick was well deserved) and I quickly found myself falling into this world and really invested in the outcomes for all involved.

Final Verdict
My review is spoiler free, and hopefully doesn't give anything away by accident. I really enjoyed The Deviants, trying to unravel the twists and turns and 'solve' this mystery by myself. The end result was not what I expected at all, but thought it was a somewhat nice ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...