Tuesday, 1 November 2016

Book Review: Disruption [Disruption #1] by Jessica Shirvington


Title: Disruption
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook|Twitter
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Series: Disruption #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Harper360
Publication Date: 4th October 2016
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
The heart-stopping first chapter in bestselling author Jessica Shirvington's Disruption series.

What if a microchip could identify your perfect match?

What if it could be used against you and the ones you love?

Eight years ago, Mercer Corporation's M-Bands became mandatory. An evolution of the smartphone, the bracelets promised an easier life. Instead, they have come to control it.

Two years ago, Maggie Stevens watched helplessly as one of the people she loved most was taken from her, shattering her world as she knew it. Now, Maggie is ready. And Quentin Mercer - heir to the M-Corp empire - has become key to Maggie's plan.

But as the pieces of her dangerous design fall into place, could Quentin's involvement destroy everything she's fought for?

In a world full of broken promises, the ones Maggie must keep could be the most heartbreaking.
My Thoughts
Disruption has been on my radar ever since I finished reading another book by this author. Disruption is a book that drew me in with it's synopsis. The whole idea behind the M-Bands both fascinated and scared me. Imagine not having to go on pointless dates, wasting time and money on people you'd rather not be with, and using the band to find your match, to jump the queue and go straight to them. But having something so small have such a big role in your life is also scary, it's a small step to taking away your free will, your feelings and opinions.

Maggie doesn't believe in the M-Bands, grudgingly getting a band and only turning it on at registration, before disabling it. She dislikes the way it takes your feelings away from it all, not having a choice in who you want to date and spend your life with, even more so with the disappearance of her Father. Determined to fight the system and somehow find her Father, with the help of an unwilling accomplice, Gus, Maggie finds a way to win the hear of Quentin Mercer, heir to the M-Band throne.

Disruption was a book I enjoyed reading, there were a few moments where I thought it dragged on a bit too much for my liking, but overall I liked the progression of the story line, and Maggie's plan. Maggie is someone who I admired for not being afraid to be different, to stand out from the crowd and not be a follower. She is also resourceful and determined, and we see these qualities come out more the closer Maggie gets to finding the answers. I wasn't particularly keen on how she obtains help from others, but looking at if after the book is over, there isn't really any other way that this could have been done without it.
The characters within the pages did grow on me, despite some of thier attitudes, and towards the end of the book I did worry about thier outcomes. I liked that we get to see people from all walks of life, and that it's not necessary the popular, rich people that get to call the shots.

Final Verdict
Did I love Disruption, no. But I did enjoy reading it. I liked that we get brief explanations about the important details to the plot, and we don't get too much information thrown at us. The ending of the book wasn't something I expected, and I am excited to see where it picks up in the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...