Monday, 3 April 2017

Book Review: Geekerella by Ashley Poston


Title: Geekerella
Author: Ashley Poston
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter|Instagram
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Quirk Books
Publication Date: 4th April 2017
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first.

Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons—before he was famous. Now they’re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he’s ever wanted, but Starfield fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob. As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake—until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise. But when she disappears at midnight, will he ever be able to find her again?

Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom.
My Thoughts
When I first saw Geekerella I knew I had to read it, it reaches out to the nerd inside saying 'choose me' and once it was in my hands it didn't take long to finish.

Danielle (Elle) lives at home with her step-mum and stepsisters after the death of her dad. Elle is so much like her Dad, even going as far to find out who the next Carmindor for Starfield will be and being late (again) for work. Starfield is a fandom that means a lot to Elle, her Dad was the founder of ExcelsiCon, and Elle will do anything to ensure that fandom remains true, even if it means slating Darien, the new Carmindor, on her blog
Her dad founder of ExcelsiCon, and that fandom has rubbed off on Danielle, huge fan of Starfield and even blogs about it.

Darien is using time away from filming in his TV series to try out something new, and whilst people don't have much confidence in him to pull this off, Darien is putting more than enough pressure on himself to be perfect for a role of his dreams.

Geekerella is the perfect mix of fandoms, and nerds, and movie stars, and romance. I loved Elle as a character and found it so easy to become emotionally invested in her journey throughout the book, wanting nothing but the best for her. I loved getting to see a variety of sides to her personality, the step sibling, the worker at a food truck, a somewhat helpful stranger, and a full out nerd.

I loved the little nods to other books and movie franchises.....
This feels like the scene from that superhero movie with a certain dude with a shield. "On your—"
"Left," I deadpan as he passes.
"Show-off!"
which made Geekerella even more enjoyable and had me trying to spot them all.

I enjoyed the progression of the story and how it stayed true to it's retelling but also stood out on its own. One thing I would have loved was pictures.....pictures of the fantastic costumes that were worn, and patched together, and fixed with helping hands (this part did make me cry)

Final Verdict
Geekerella is an amazing book and one that I really enjoyed reading. I loved every single detail that went into making this one of the best retellings I've read.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh great review I've been wanting to read this book as well because I love anything with geeks and nerds in them, and this one looks and sounds absolutely fantastic and right up my alley! Thank you for the awesome post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...