Monday, 24 April 2017

Book Review: Ten Birthdays by Kerry Wilkinson


Title: Ten Birthdays
Author: Kerry Wilkinson
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter|Instagram
Genre: Fiction
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 21st April 2017
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
"There are going to be so many things I wish I could’ve told you in person, Poppy. I won’t get the chance to do that, so perhaps this is my only way…"

It’s Poppy Kinsey’s birthday.

She should be blowing out candles and opening presents – but hers falls on the type of heart-wrenching, agonising anniversary she would far rather forget.

The worst day of them all. The day her mother died.

But this year is special because the person she misses most in the world has left her a set of letters, one for each of her next ten birthdays.

As Poppy opens them year by year, she discovers that no matter how tough life gets, her mum will always be by her side, guiding her along the way.
My Thoughts
I first heard of Ten Birthdays from a comment from the author, I quickly checked it out on his website and said I was very interested in this book. I knew going into Ten Birthdays I would need lots of tissues, so with coffee, chocolate, and a box of tissues I began reading, and I did not stop until I had reached the last page.

Imagine your birthday could never be celebrated the same way ever again, that instead of looking forward to your celebrations you dreaded the day. This is the case for Poppy, whos birthday also happens to be the day she lot her Mum. A day spent shopping with friends with hushed conversations between them does not leave Poppy with good feelings, and when she finally makes it hope its clear why, and rather than face the small party, Poppy hides, waiting for everybody to leave. It's then that she receives a belated gift off her Mum, a letter to open for the next ten years worth of birthdays. This was also the time I declared myself gone, and gave up trying to hold back the tears.

Ten birthdays is spread over the course of ten years in Poppy's life, but it's artfully done with quick glimpses into Poppy's birthday celebrations with information on what she has done, what her friends are doing, what shes doing now or next. We see how poppy spends her birthday, decisions she makes and how they affect those around her. We see her growing up, changing jobs, falling in love, and the ups and downs of her friendship with Freya and Mark.

Ten Birthdays is a book that I fell head over heels into, and didn't come up for air. I instantly loved the characters, how their personalities were so different but they were so close. The village Poppy grew up in sounds quaint, and is most definitely a village where everybody knows everybody else and thier business, and I do miss this aspect of my youth.

I don't really want to say too much about Ten Birthdays because this book is just as much of a journey for the reader as it is for Poppy, and I really do want you to take this journey with her.

Final Verdict
Ten Birthdays is a heartfelt journey about loss, love, friendship, and growing up. I loved every minute of this book and can't wait to dive into my own copy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...