Monday, 22 May 2017

Book Review: The Impossible Fortress by Jason Rekulak


Title: The Impossible Fortress
Author: Jason Rekulak
Author Info: Website|Facebook
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Faber & Faber
Publication Date: 6th April 2017
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
It's 1987. Billy Marvin, the tallest boy in ninth grade, has just witnessed history.

Wheel of Fortune presenter Vanna White is on the cover of Playboy.

Billy and his friends, Alf and Clark, know that if they can get hold of the magazine, their world will change. For ever.

But as Billy says, 'No shopkeeper in America was going to sell Playboy to a fourteen-year-old boy.'

As they set out on their mission to find the most wanted images in America, they're blissfully unaware of the dangers, dramas and garbage dumpsters that lie ahead. And of how a girl called Mary might just change one of their lives. For ever.
My Thoughts
The Impossible Fortress was a book I was excited to start reading, especially as it was for fans of Ready Player One. But when I got around to reading the book I did struggle. I've lost count of the amount of times I picked it up to read a few pages, and put it back down again. I wanted an instant connection with this book and it wasn't there.
Determined to give The Impossible Fortress another try I waited until the weekend knowing I could dedicate a few hours of my time to sit and read, without disruptions or distractions. This was exactly what I needed and once I was past the first few chapters there was no stopping me.

I loved that the book had a nerdy side to it and the era it's set in is a familiar one to me, we had a C64 and reading them describe the computer brought back some fond and impatient memories, I do not miss having to reload a game when it crashed midway.

The Impossible Fortress starts off with one aim for a group of friends, and ends on a different note altogether. I loved the scheming that the boys get up to in order to try and buy this magazine, dressing up to appear older, buying things to distract from thier true purpose, even down to the plan to sneak in at night. This is the plan that puts into motion one of the best bits about this book. Although I do not understand coding at all, or anything about the different computer languages, I really enjoyed seeing Billy and Mary work together, having a routine together to try to fix Billy's game and make it ready for the big competition.

Although the book was slow to start for me, I did eventually enjoy it. I liked the progression of the two different plots and how they intermingled, one leading before another takes priority, and then swinging back again. I liked seeing how the characters try to work around things, and admittedly do something wrong to achieve thier goal, but the consequences of this was something I could see before it happened, and it did make me sad to read about. The twist towards the end was not something I saw coming but I did like how it was dealt with. By the end of the book I did not want to put it down, and I really needed to know what comes next


Final Verdict
The impossible Fortress was initially a slow start, but as soon as it grabbed my attention I was hooked and could not read it fast enough, eager to know what would happen next. By the time I had turned the last page I was truly invested in the characters and thier outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...