Thursday, 6 July 2017

Audiobook Review: Unconventional by Maggie Harcourt


Title: Unconventional
Author: Maggie Harcourt
Narrator: Rosie Jones
Length: 9 hrs and 6 mins
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Audible Studios
Publication Date: 1st February 2017
Rating: 5 stars

Tell Me About It
Lexi Angelo is a Convention Kid - she's got a clipboard and a walkie talkie to prove it.
Aidan Green is a messy-haired, annoyingly arrogant author and he's disrupting her perfect planning.
In a flurry of awkward encounters, lost schedules and late-night conversations, Lexi discovers that some things can't be planned.... Things like falling in love.
My Thoughts
I first heard of Unconventional at YALC last year when we got samplers to read. I was hooked from the moment I began reading and had to get hold of this book as soon as possible. However I never managed to get a copy of Unconventional until a few months ago, and it ended up being an audiobook as my physical book pile was stupidly long.

Unconventional is a book that had hold of me the minute I began, and I often found myself lacking in sleep due to having to listen to just thirty minutes more....repeatedly, when I was supposed to be going to sleep. I loved everything about this book and I had to know how it would all end.

I loved the idea behind it, how Unconventional is based on a family who runs conventions, and Lexi who is the daughter ends up running the show. Lexi is in charge of organising the day, ensuring each area has the correct amount of people, as well as trouble shooting last minute hiccups. She finds herself being roped into reading an upcoming book that she falls in love with and can't air to meet the author. But her ideals and the truth are completely different, and Lexi soon finds herself facing someone who she thought shed never see again.

Unconventional is also unique in the way that there is a story waiting the plot itself, when we get sneak peaks of the chapters, as well as bulbs from already well known authors (Non Pratt, Will Hill). I loved the progression of the story, nothing felts rushed or hurried, the time frame itself spaced out over several conventions over the year. I loved the friendships within the pages, and how best friends didn't nessecary live near by, or go to the same school, that the friendships are based on personalities, and interests, and convention related things.

Unconventional was a book I LOVED, and this has to be among my top ten books of the year so far. I would love to see another part to this story, seeing what happens next for several people. It also makes me want to read the rest of the books published by the author.

Narration
The narrator for Unconventional was great. It was easy to distinguish between the characters, as well as feeling like part of the story itself. I loved the accents and how the personalities popped out from the story itself.

Final Verdict
Unconventional is a must read for convention goers, YA readers, audiobook listeners. READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...