Sunday, 3 September 2017

Book Review: Two Sisters by Kerry Wilkinson


Title: Two Sisters
Author: Kerry Wilkinson
Author Info: Website|Facebook|Twitter|Instagram
Genre: Thriller
Source: NetGalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 23rd June 2017
Rating: 4 stars

Tell Me About It
They told us he had been missing for nearly two days, that he probably drowned. They told us a lie.

Megan was ten years old when her older brother, Zac, went missing among the cliffs, caves and beaches that surround the small seaside town of Whitecliff.

A decade later and a car crash has claimed the lives of her parents.

Megan and her younger sister Chloe return to Whitecliff one summer for the first time since their brother’s disappearance. Megan says it’s to get her parents’ affairs in order. There are boxes to pack, junk to clear, a rundown cottage to sell. But that’s not the real reason.

Megan has come to confront her family’s past after receiving a postcard on the day of her parents’ funeral. It had a photograph of Whitecliff on the front and a single letter on the back.

‘Z’ is all it read.

Z for Zac.
My Thoughts
I've been a fan of Kerry Wilkinson since I first read his Silver Blackthorn series, I then went to his Jessica Daniel series. So when I saw Two Sisters on NetGalley it made sense to request it, and thankfully it was approved.

Two Sisters follows sisters, Chloe and Megan, as they return to the family cottage to get away from all the questions after their parents death, and to get things packed away. Chloe and Megan don't exactly have a close relationship, with being packed off to separate boarding schools and barely spending time with each other, it hard for them to be in close quarters whilst also trying to solve matters.

Going into Two Sisters I knew this was going to be a book that took me on a journey with lots of twists and turns, and I loved it. Throughout the pages we are constantly thrown little bits of information, either overseen secret meetings, suspicious people, unprovoked fights, added to this the fact that nobody claims to remember Zac it's a very mysterious town that never seems to have the right answer or the right path. I loved the mystery and intrigue about it all, even if I was lead down wrong paths. The plot for the story is interwoven through everything that involves Chloe and Megan.

I liked getting to see the sisters as individuals and how their own personalities shone through, but also seeing how they look out for each other and eventually realise what they have. Throughout the pages it really was hard for me to figure this one out and I never managed to do that, especially with falling for all the false leads and hopes. There was a surprise character that I didn't expect, and the really do save the day on several occasions, but my heart did break for this person for the life they are being forced to live.

Although Two Sisters is a great thriller, it also has underlying themes running through, one of them is an eating disorder, which I think was portrayed in a sensitive way and really does make you think of the struggles people can go through.

Final Verdict
Two Sisters was a book that kept me wanting to know more. I had to find out what was really going on in this town and when the answers were revealed I was more than happy with the answer. I loved the characters and the world, even the village and the cottage (minus the creepiness).

1 comment:

  1. I love me a good thriller and this sounds amazing! Very mysterious with all the twists and turns and answers and mystery. Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...